• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Stock Bits & Bobs

Started by old.geezer, October 03, 2008, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old.geezer

I was thinking last night while doing my first photo for the site, it would be great if we could lay our hands on
things like Body Parts and the like. ( Not real ones of course, I don't do that anymore, no matter what Mitzs tells you ).
I was struggling to make a baby's eye realistic enough to satisfy the recipient, and it crossed my mind that, just for this site,
we could have a Library of eyes, noses, even dresses and jackets for help in restoring.
I don't know if it it is feasible, but it would be a great resource for projects like this, after all we do have access to the Warp tool
and Liquify Filter dont we ?   

Best regards  :up:

Pete
Pete Bird

glennab

Pete, I've found that most of the stock photo web sites will allow downloading of any photo in their collection for comping purposes.  They all have watermarks, but that's not a problem because we're not using them for anything commercial.  I have a collection of hair, hands, ears, etc. from Photos.com. They're the handiest way I know to get good samples without having to fork out any cash, and they have huge collections.

Worth a shot!

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi Pete,

I know what you're suggesting on first glance sounds like a great idea, but it is a big no-no! Family members are going to know immediately that something looks wrong with their photo when you do body swapping. Look in the Official OPR Handbook and on page 19 shows some of the dos and don'ts. We try not to take on any photos that have too much detail missing in the face, because we realize that it will be hard to restore. I'm not sure what software program you are using, but in Photoshop I rarely use the Warp tool and never use the Liquefy filter. What I use the most is the Marquee tool to make a selection and then put it on it's own layer. I will move that selection into place and a lot of times use the transform command to rotate, size, and sometimes to distort. I also will while transforming using the flip command, which helps in the case of the eyes. When finished I will merge down.

We sometimes use other photos as a reference to see how a certain period of dress looked liked to help us in restoring. Another thing that I might mention is that when you borrow parts from another photo, unless given permission by the photographer, you are violating the copy right on that photo.

Your best bet in learning how to restore will be books on restoration and tutorials online, and best of all posting your progress on the forum. If you are having problems, post your photo here and we will give you some helpful tips.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

old.geezer

So that will be  no then.  ::)

It was just a thought for this site. I understand about copyright and have always used my own old family photos for the odd ear or nose just to get it realistic.

I use Photoshop CS3 Extended and if it wasn't for the Liqify Filter and warp tool for 'Weight Loss' for my clients I would be hard pushed to achieve the results they ask for, But I know what you mean.

Still this will make you feel good about your work Guys :

http://www.gigglesugar.com/slideshow/1536214

Best regards

Pete

Pete Bird

Mhayes

Sorry Pete, it's a no when it comes to body swapping. I'm afraid that an odd ear or nose used from your family photos, would be just that--odd. Post your work and we will help.

Now that you brought up the weight loss thing, I may have to rethink using the liquefy and wrap tool to get myself into better shape.  ;)

Thanks for the slideshow, how funny.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mitzs

"Not real ones of course, I don't do that anymore, no matter what Mitzs tells you "

Hey, it was me squealing like a pig. Thats my store and I am sticking to it! You can't prove nothing....

glennab

Margie and Pete, I didn't mean to give the impression that I use photo body parts as a substitute in our restorations or that I think it's okay to do so.  I use them for reference to get shading, hair types when there's very little visible, that sort of thing.  Not long ago one of our volunteers found a photo that showed a person's legs crossed in order to be able to discern exactly how they'd be positioned and contoured, since it was impossible to tell in the photo being restored.  It's difficult enough to make these photos look real without adding someone else's parts to them.  Sorry if I created a misunderstanding.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK, I thought that was what you meant, but wasn't sure if everyone knew you meant reference. When I sent my post it really was at the same time as yours and I didn't even see yours till after mine was posted.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]