• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Black & white

Started by david_gr, January 12, 2011, 01:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

Here is another photo for review.  I kept it close to the original color and cleaned up the damage as best I could.  I prefer to keep them close to the original color even though it is through aging because that is what the owners are used to.  However, if you the powers that be want me to convert it to black & white,  I am agreeable.  All I want is the owner to be happy.  Here are the before and after versions:

Please let me know what you think.  I will appreciate all and any help.  :)

PS  I posted this in an old topic since we have so many.  Is that okay?  :-\

David Gr

Mhayes

Hi David,

Good job on the restoring. I think this photo was black/white originally, but not ruling out sepia. Yes, the photo is going to have the color changing with age, but also remember if you have flood water that gets on the flood like this one--the color is going to reflect to it. If you want to submit one b/w and one sepia that would be OK. I would back off having the photo so yellow.

It's better not to post on another post, because it is confusing and even though the title is fitting; it has nothing to do with the original post. Yes, there are so many, but that's OK and better that having a long post that has several discussions that aren't related.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

David, if you do the basic levels and curves adjustments you will see that it is bw. The yellow is age and damage as it is so splotchy.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

david_gr

Margie,

Thanks for the guidance.  In the future, I will add a new topic for each restoration.  I can see how it would get confusing.  I figured by using an old topic that was no longer being used it would be okay. However, I can use a new topic just as easy.  :wnw:

Kiska,
I worked with levels and even curves to get it where it is now.  I find curves to be challenging to say the least so I pretty much stick to levels.  I may look at Ctein's book for some guidance on curves.  Do you know of any written tutorial on curves?

When doing restorations, I have trouble deciding how far to take it.  Like if you have an old black and white that has yellowed through age, do you take out the flood damage and leave the yellowing of age?  I have noticed that on a couple of my restorations that OPR seems to prefer to take a restoration back to the original black and white.

Oh well taking this restoration to black and white should not be too bad.  It may bring out the grain more but I will deal with that.

Again. Thank you both for the advice.  :)

Pat

David I see you asked for a written tutorial on curves.  If you have a fast enough connection to view a video tutorial the following is a great tutorial on color correction with curves.

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-color-correcting.html

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author