• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Taking a rest from the fire....

Started by GP, October 24, 2007, 03:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP

As you may know, we are dealing with a major disaster right know here in Southern California. I just would like to let you all know that I have been very lucky so far. We have seen the flames from our backyard coming over the hill towards us. All our important belongings are stuffed in the car, suitcases are packed and we are ready to go if we have to. But so far we only have to deal with bad air. But it is kind of nerve wrecking.

The first thing I packed into the car were all my photos, negatives and photo albums together with the external hard drive with all my digital pictures. Next came all DVDs and CDs, video tapes and home movies, of course I took also my insurance policy and other important documents. This is my 2.time going through this ( we had the same kind of fires exactly 4 years ago ), although this time we were more immediately affected. We live in Spring Valley, east of San Diego, and are dealing with the so called Harris fire.But it does not really matter were you are right now, we can only go west and jump into the ocean  ;D

But people are great here in San Diego, they had to turn away volunteers and food offerings at the major evacuation centers since they had sometimes more people wanting to help than people actually needing help. The real challenge is still laying a head of us, so many houses are lost this time and the question is how this will be dealt with. Some families just got the go a head to move back into their houses destroyed during the last fire. Things went more smoothly this time and only 1 person got killed. They did a fantastic job getting everyone out in time thanks to the newly implemented reverse 911 system. But some folks refused to leave in the beginning and were hampering fire fighters  to do their job.

I don't have to go to work, my company closed to help everyone to deal with personal affairs, but I can't really enjoy the time off. I just wish everything would be back to normal...!

I hope you all understand my inactivity here at the board and not working on restoration right now, but I will be back as soon as this is all behind us. I know you guys are taking care of business and are getting the pictures restored without my help  ;D
Keep up the great work! :up:

Gerlinde  :hug:
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

schen

Just talked to my relatives and friends in California.  Sounded like the wind is slowing down and the fire is retreating.  Gook luck with you all.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Gerlinde, I am so sorry to hear about the fires in California.  It must be so tense not knowing if/when you have to evacuate.  I hope the winds will die down and give all of you guys a break.  I feel bad for all the people that lost their homes.
My sister in law lives in Orange County and one of my friends lives East of San Diego, they are fine so far but I worry about them too.
Wishing you all the best, lots of rain and no more wind...

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Gerlinde I spent my mid-teens in Fallbrook and graduated from high school there.  I grew up in west Los Angeles.  My husband is from Orange County.  We are watching events closely and I've been reading the blogs - those seem to be the only detailed information on the Fallbrook fires.  Please know that we're all thinking of you and sending westward mental messages for the winds to stop.  Please be safe!

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

Gerlinde, you are in our thoughts and hopes that things will turn around quickly for the better. Last night I watched a special edition of ABC's 20/20 on the wildfires. I cannot image the panic of trying to out race a wildfire. What was even more frightening is the dangers the winds play in spawning a fire tornado. May you and your family stay safe.  :hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ratz

Good luck to you and your family GP. There is nothing more frightening than a wild fire.
Like Australia this is becoming an annnual event in California.My daughter-in-law has family near the fires but they are so far unaffected.Stay safe and don't worry about what's happening at your house.
God bless.

Dave

Gerlinde,

I spent part of my childhood in Poway. I can remember watching from babysitter's backyard the fires in the hills. Stay in touch as much as possible to let us know how you're doing. If there's anything we can do for you, all you have to do is say the word.

Stay safe.
Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

kiska

We're thinking about you California folks. :up:
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tess (Tassie D)

I hope that they can get the fires under control before any more damage occurs. Unfortunately they are part of life but I always hate it when this time of year rolls round. Hope your house stays safe and you can get back to normal soon.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Gerlinde and any of our other volunteers who are close to the wildfires:

My prayers are with you.  I hope you and yours are safe and stay so.  I've been rather out of touch the last few days, so when I heard on NPR this morning how much devastation and loss the fires are causing I was appalled and unable to even imagine what it would be like to face that danger.  May your guardian angels protect you!

Bless

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

RosyBijou

Keeping you in my prayers, Gerlinde...
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

jneil2

Gerlinde,  I am just now reading this thread, and I now realize that we both live in San Diego.  I live in the beach area (Mission Beach) and we were so lucky to not have been threatened by fires or evacuation.  Next time (God forbid) just pack up your car and come to my place (instead of jumping in the ocean).

Why couldn't we have had floods, instead of fire--at least there would have been photos to restore.....

Jan

GP

Hi guys!

Sorry I have been quiet for a while, but I'm happy to report that we were lucky and have only to deal with bad air and ashes falling down on us.Thank you all for caring and your good wishes! This fire was way worse than the one in 2003 since it wrecked havoc in densely populated areas. The good thing, that came out of the last disaster, is that they were better prepared to handle the situation.
Our officials were very efficient to get people out of the danger and help them to get through the first couple of days. There were some glitches along the way, but overall it was a very successful way of dealing with the problem. We are also giving our "governator" Arnold big credit for being here the whole time and going from shelter to shelter and making sure people are taken care of.

My biggest relief so far is that we did not hear any horror stories of animals being badly burned because their owners left them behind. Nobody did get turned away for bringing his pets to the shelters. Many shopping malls opened their parking lots for the bigger animals like horses and even our neighbor Mexico helped us with supplying electricity and some equestrian organisation in Tijuana offered help for people who could not find a place for their horses.

You may see all the pictures of distraction the fire left behind and get the impression San Diego is now completely destroyed. That is not the case! San Diego is still the most beautiful city in the world, a little singed on the edges, but otherwise still intact!  Jan, do you agree with me?

Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

jneil2

cmpentecost

I'm so glad to hear all is OK with our California friends.  It had to be a frightful week, and I know it's not completely over yet, but at least you are safe.

Chris