• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Soldier and FFT Filter @ Work

Started by klassylady25, May 18, 2008, 12:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

This is one of my current projects.  If it weren't for that lovely fft filter, this young man would be almost impossible. It's helped a great deal
in this restoration.  This is still a work in process but he's coming along. 

Hannie

Wow Candy, that is already looking so good.  You managed to retrieve a lot of detail from the muck!
Don't you just love that FFT filter?

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pelican

Tries my unusual interpretation of the process from the other thread on this pic.
Again, A was done in a separate document and B was done on a separate layer.

klassylady25

Curtis, I will tell you this, that I have a generic background that I created from about 3 different old pictures that made the one above.  It was something that I did out of desparation since most of the ones that I do have a common theme. 

Your B came out very good.  The question is, with the changes I made on it, could you tell the difference?

Thanks Hannie, the next step will be to overlay the original again and look at the details.  Before I do that I try and back away from the picture.  On this particular one, I want to bring out the picture but not over do.  The owner if fully aware of damage so I'm already a step up.  Now I'm trying to decide if his chin strap is a double or single.  I'm swaying towards double.

What do you guys think?

Hannie

Candy, it looks like double strap to me. 
I like your idea of not over doing the restoration, it already has improved so much.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

I think I'll go with the double strap.  There are so few WWII pictures with men posed like this.  I'm sure they are out there I just haven't found it until now and that's why I love the unique character of this photo.

Thanks Hannie for the confirmation.   :hug:

klassylady25

Update...
I see a few things yet, but need to rest these hazel eyes of mine.   :wow:
I believe he was an in an Airborne unit based on the helmet.   The older helmets kept falling off when the soldier made a jump so a chin strap was added and one that went behind the neck.  That made it a great deal more secure. 

More to come....   C

klassylady25

This mornings work.  Hey, I get the feeling that this young man has "Ricky Nelson" lips.  For those of you old enough to know that young singer, what do you think?

Off to see the grandson!  Candy  :loveit:

Hannie

Candy, I don't know what you changed but it looks better than the one before that! 
I don't see Ricky Nelson but maybe you mean the older Ricky with perhaps thinner lips...

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

I mean I think the soldier has the fuller bottom lip.  lol  

As for change, I keep toggling back and forth between the restoration and the original and each time I do, I see another point to work on.    One time it was the uniform, another time the straps on the helmet adn I still see a few things, but that will come later tonight when I'm home.  I really like the way he's coming along.

I'm at my daughter's home ... with grampa, two dogs, and one active boy. :o)  They are watching something together so I snuck in here for a minute or two.     

klassylady25

Here's my guy.  Unless you spot something else, it will be about time to send him home.  For some reason when I post there is just a bit difference than what it is in CS2, so let me know what you see and I'll correct in the AM. 

Night Night, Candice

Hannie

This is even better than the last one Candy!  :up2:
I noticed you add some noise to the outfit, maybe now a little noise to the skin areas and background as well?

You have done an amazing job giving this soldier back his face!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Thank you Hannie. Yes, I've added a little noise and overlaid the uniform about three times so that the original texture wasn't completely lost.  It's a winter uniform and they were made of wool then.  Itchy but warm.   The helmet was, as you know, alway pitted.  And believe it or not I can see the material on the chin strap with my memory but I haven't been able to match it.  Guess I will have to get creative for the future and make a brush or texture that I know it to.  I'll be adding now and again thank you.  :up2: :hug:

klassylady25

Corrections made, noise added.  I'm out and about.  I see one more small thing and will correct that when I come back, but what think ye?

kiska

The mouth seems a little off center. How about this as a reference.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro