• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

LittleC - ongoing...

Started by videosean, February 28, 2007, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videosean

Any guidance is welcome... criticism less welcomed but accepted ;)
I'm not happy with any of the faces (what I'd like to see is beyond my ability I think) but I think I need to undo the mother's and restart... just looks to heavy/painted and the chin is just... not quite right.  Her face has been the toughest of the 3 I think.  I don't want it to look painted so I don't want the hair to be too well defined other than the outline that I could make out in the original.  I do keep turning on/off various states/layers to the original... and some parts that look wrong don't look totally off that way... so frustrating!
The details of the building will be made less crisp so it doesn't call so much attention to itself.
Still a way to go  :(
i have an unhealthy internet obsession & hide behind multiple layers of ironic humor and sarcasm...

glennab

Hey Sean

I tried some very funky stuff and got an image that could be workable. (Easy for me to say, because you're doing it!)

Here's what I did:  I took your original and ran the despeckle filter 10 times.  Then I did an unsharp mask with these numbers: 147-30-7. I opened your restoration and copied it into the original that I'd just weirded up.  (If you hold down the shift key and drag the image, it will fit exactly over the original).  I set the layer effect to lighten and played with the opacity.  There are some areas that look much worse than the original but in the long run I think would be easier to clean up, and it looks less "painterly."

I agree that mom's face needs some work, but the little boy and dad don't look too bad.

As I said this is weird (I'm expecting one of the gurus to tell me I'm nuts, and you're welcome to do so as well). It may not work for you, but I thought I'd give it a try and pass it on.

This is one heck of a challenge!  Keep at it, and everything will fall into place. I find that the more challenging restorations are an incredible learning experience.  I've tried effects and techniques I didn't even know existed until I started working with OPR.  Great practice to eventually be on a par with the real gurus!

Good luck!

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Sean,

Glenna you gazumped my post, whilst I was posting, you posted, then mine crashed- an interesting technique you suggest, there are that many ways to do some things in PS who can say any one way is right.

I was going to suggest that Kenny's "Sandwich Technique" may help.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Max

I hate it when I gazump my friends!  You're right, Kenny's sandwich technique could be another way to go.  I just still haven't quite gotten the technique down, so I wouldn't be able to explain it. Thanks, at least, for not telling me I'm nuts!

Best to you as always!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

"Kenny's Sandwich Technique" ugh....I'm sure someone out there came up with it first. I prefer to call it the OPR sandwich technique.  :P

Anyway, It's basically like when you apply a filter and then use the fade option. At least that's how I explain it. I made a video tutorial on how I do it, I believe it's in the techniques forum.

Quick, non-video tutorial:

Note* I recommend you save this as a separate .psd so you don't lose all your layers on the restoration.
Make a copy of the original layer (if you haven't already) and turn the layer visibility off for it. Then, merge all visible layers. You should end up with two layers, one restored and the original. Then, use "save as" to rename it so you preserve your previous work.

Copy the restored layer and move your layers around so you have two restored versions; one on top and one on bottom, with the original sandwiched in between.

The reason for the bottom restored version is you're going to be working with the opacity and it gives you a background.

Now, set the top layer to overlay and adjust the opacity until you find a good balance of photographic quality and damage. This will restore the texture and shading of the original, but unfortunately it also brings back some of the damage.

I use the technique numerous times during a restoration. I'll work on damage and if I see it's starting to look painterly, I'll do the sandwich technique.

Your mileage may vary, but it's helped me out a lot  ;)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

videosean

Feeling incredibly frustrated... but I don't want to keep holding onto this one.  I think this will be it.
I appreciate all the advice it was definitely helpful :)

i have an unhealthy internet obsession & hide behind multiple layers of ironic humor and sarcasm...

cmpentecost

Hi Sean,

You certainly picked a tough one!  This looks great though, and it's evident you spent a lot of care in getting it to look right.  My ONLY comment is the little boy appears to have a bit more of a "flat top" than in the original, but otherwise, I'll watch for you to "send it home"!

Christine

videosean

Quote from: cmpentecost on March 12, 2007, 12:11:52 AM
My ONLY comment is the little boy appears to have a bit more of a "flat top" than in the original, but otherwise, I'll watch for you to "send it home"!

Christine

Good eye... I agree :)  Fixed and updated.
I'm trying to send it home... believe me LOL