• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help Needed

Started by hoodman3, January 30, 2008, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

Can anyone give me a hint to the top of the head of the girl on the left. Any other comments are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Pete

Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Hi Pete

I took a look at both your images and noted that they're in Index color mode.  Is that deliberate?   Index won't break down into channels, so it's difficult to determine if any color holds more information than the others. What I also found interesting is that I couldn't even dupe the layer and play with blending modes.  Didn't have any luck figuring out what's on the girl's head.  That's a tough one!  I'd assume your original is RGB, and I'd recommend "channel surfing" in that mode.

Good luck!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

hoodman3

I don't know what index mode means.  The original photo is there. Is it index mode?
I saved both photos in Web ready in PhotoShop. Did that cause the conflict? What about the hair?
Thanks
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

schen

Pete,

You have the files saved as GIF format.  GIF allows maximum of 256 colors concurrently.  In the file, there is a table that contains 256 indexes for the available colors.

You need to go to Image>Mode>RGB Color, then save the images as jpeg files.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Shujen

I appreciate the explanation of Index color.  The term has never come up in my work, so I was baffled.  Now I understand the inability to create new layers or separate channels.  What a man of wisdom!

I've learned so much from this forum!  Love it!

Kiska: the hair as you've rendered it looks a bit high to be plausible.  I wonder if she's wearing a cap – it almost looks like a croupier's visor – with hair (similar to what you've shown) beneath it.

Give Queen Hannah a hug for me (I've wiped off all the cat fur!), and I'm sending one to you and Shujen as well. 

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

hoodman3

Sorry for the confusion with the GIF's. I'm posting them again as jpg's, but I didn't find any info "channel surfing". Now I'm trying to determine whether it's a hat or hair by looking at the shadows. The girl on the left has a shadow on her entire face. Maybe there is a bill to the hat? The girl on the right has more highlights on her face and she's looking away from the sun. There seems to be something blocking the sun from the face of the girl on the left. Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Pete

Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Hi Pete

I played with the channels a bit in CMYK.  Both the Cyan and Black channels had some detail in the faces, but there was so much pixilation I wasn't able to discern anything specific.  However, if you use the higher-resolution version and check out those two channels – maybe play with Calculations and Channel Mixer – you might be able to see more than I could.  The little girl on the left (as we look at them) appears to have her head slightly down and a very large smile.  Because of the tilt of her head, we may be seeing just hair.  Good luck with this monster.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

I did a shadow/highlight on her and that helped a lot.  The picture seems to have a lot of age darkening.  She's looking up through her eyelashes with her chin down.  I slapped some paint over some of the damage and I think what's on her head is just hair.

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

klassylady25