• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Income Tax

Started by Charlene5, March 23, 2008, 10:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlene5

I spent the day enjoying <cough> doing the income tax.  I use Turbo Tax and that's much easier than doing it the old way with pencil and paper, but it's still waaaaaay too complicated.  Some of the Turbo Tax questions about income and investments I don't pretend to understand even if I read them twice:  "Do you (or your lawful dependents) have any unreported deferred capitol gains invested in 303sub B certificates?  This does not apply to commodities or futures outside of the continental U.S." and stuff like that.   

After struggling with this mess for a few hours I wondered if it is this awful in every country with a national income tax?  Why can't it just go on a postcard?  I made this much.  You took this much.  I owe you/you owe me this much.  I suppose if it were a fair and simple system the politicians wouldn't have anything at all to trade for favors :D

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

MJ,

In case you get in trouble and have to do some time--would you still work on restoring photos behind bars?  ;D As far as your suggestion for a simpler way, do you think all of the tax accountants and lawyers would really go along with that?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

I worked in the insurance and finance industry for 15 plus years, and while I "semi" understand the IRS question, it takes an accountant to really understand all that jargon.  So......do you....or don't you......have any unreported deferred capital gains invested in 303sub B certificates!     ;D

Christine

Hannie

Even when you live in a country where filing income tax is not that hard, they will still find a way  to make life miserable:

The Dutch Tax Department accidentally corrupted some 730.000 (electronic) tax returns and now they rendered unusable!  ::)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Quote from: MarCat on March 23, 2008, 10:22:23 PM
MJ,

In case you get in trouble and have to do some time--would you still work on restoring photos behind bars?  ;D As far as your suggestion for a simpler way, do you think all of the tax accountants and lawyers would really go along with that?

Margie

Don't tax cheats go to one of those fancy federal facilities?  Maybe I could ask for the Leona Helmsley Suite :)

Hannie does the Tax Department expect all of those 730,000 people to redo and resubmit  their returns?!?  I'd be sorely tempted to tell them to get stuffed!
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Hannie

Yes MJ, all these people have to file again, luckily I was late this this year sending in my tax return.  Sometimes it pays to be lazy... :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I usually do my eldest daughters online and fid it pretty easy out here. We don't do our own though as I have no wish to deal with depreciation schedules.  :D
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]