• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Glenna cheated and took an easier one -- needs eagle eyes, please

Started by glennab, June 11, 2007, 11:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi!

I grabbed a less challenging restoration to see if I could get my brain cells back into my head and working.  As usual, they're never as easy as they look at first glance!  This is a snapshot with a LOT of grain.  Really tough to balance diminishing the grain without losing all the detail.

Here's the original:

Here's the restoration so far:

Any observations, picks, comments appreciated!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hey Glenna,

Don't EVER discredit yourself for taking an easier photo.  The ultimate goal is getting these photos back to the families ASAP!  You did a beautiful job on this, and I'm certain the family will be pleased with the final result.  Consider this...after working on all of the monster photos that you have done, this one was a piece of cake, because of all you have learned thru OPR.  We learn thru the difficult photos, and thrive on the easier ones, but our ultimate goal, is to restore happiness to the families who own these photos.

You've done a wonderful job, and you should be proud!

christine

Ausimax

Hi Glenna,

Its hard to know what you are getting until you download the photo and then the easy can suddenly get hard, this one is a typical trap all the grain/noise only becomes apparent when you lighten the image.

With what you started with I think you have achieved a pretty good result, my pick would be the tip of the nose of the chap with the tie, it looks a bit flat - has lost the rounded end look. other than that the other thing that may help is to use the blur tool to soften the faces a bit, leaving the eyes and mouth's alone, may help get rid of the last of the grainy look.

In general I think they are ready to go home.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Ziaphra

You've done a sterling job...my only critique is that you have lost all the detail in the shirts. ;)

glennab

Max and Ziaphra

Thanks so much for your spot-on observations.  I'll make those tweaks and any others that may be offered before the day's over and send these gentlemen home this evening.  Shortest time I've ever taken on a restoration.  Feels good!

Max, no matter how I try I'm so darned heavy-handed with the burn tool. I toasted the highlight right out of that poor guy's nose.  I wish I could figure out your secret.  Maybe one of these days...

Chris, I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.  It was pleasant to work on one that wasn't a total disaster, but I really feel as if I'm cheating, because I love doing the toughies and I want to get really, really good at this.  Maybe then I can be a restorer when I grow up!

Love you all!

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

A tip I picked up from NAPP. A more gentle way to dodge/burn:

New empty layer> set to soft blend, about 20% opacity

Paint with soft white(dodge) and /or black(burn}.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Kiska -- Obviously I need to spend more time on NAPP's site.  That's a great method.  I'll try it  tonight.  Thanks!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Hi Volunteers

Thanks for all your great help.  It's not perfect, but this is the image that's going home.  Actually, I'm happy with it, and I appreciate the input that got me here.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)