• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello...

Started by John R., December 23, 2012, 04:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John R.

Greetings, all...I'm John, a new volunteer based in Lake Worth, FL.  There are loads of wildlife areas in all directions from where I live, and I can practice my hobby of photographing birds--along with the 5,000 or more other amateur (and professional) bird photographers in the area <g>.  Sometimes we are tripping all over each other, and over our tripods, on the boardwalks.

I came to use Photoshop in 2004 as a tool for enhancing my own photos, then started using it to enhance/restore old family photos.  When I learned about OPR a couple of weeks ago, it appealed to me as a way to share my Photoshop ability, such as it is, for a good cause.  And it is already teaching me, or pointing out the need to learn, a lot of new PS skills.

Pat suggested I post a couple of my favorites among my bird images.  So, here are my 2 favorites from the past 8 years.

[/url]
Photo 2 - 2012-12-23 by BirdPics, on Flickr[/img]
--John R.

Pat

John these are absolutely wonderful photos!  Thank you for sharing them with us.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mike S.

John,

I am very impressed with your pictures.  What camera, lens and F-Stop were you using or normally use.  Sharpness and depth of field are outstanding.

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

John, what beautiful pictures, but please tell me the pelican was not supper for the alligator?

Margie

P.S. Please no photos of Bambi (not our distributor) being eaten by wolves.  :cool:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

John R.

Thanks, guys.  I've still got a lot to learn about birds, photography, and bird photography. But I am trying.

Yes, Margie, the pelican became supper, but not for that particular alligator.  This gator quickly lost his prize to a larger gator, and then an even larger gator took it away from that one.  There's a whole series of shots of the sequence of events, but the dramatic action for most of those took place just below the surface of the water.  In this one shot, I at least "got teeth."

Mike, I'd have to go back to the original files to get the info on the f/stop and other settings.  I know both photos were taken with a Canon 20D and Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom, and I believe the pelican/gator was, also. 

Mhayes

John, that was a great shot and when you look at the reflection below it looks like he was about to swallow him whole. Interesting how it ended up. When I was contracting at Gulfstream in Savannah, GA I would go out to a park (old rice patty?) that had marshes and it was fun watching the birds and the alligators---especially when the young ones would hit the water and it sounded like a whip cracking.

I too use the 20D and as much as I would have like to upgrade to a Canon 5-D, the 20D has been a great camera. On special occasions I have rented lenses that gave me a chance to enjoy lenses I couldn't afford.  

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hi John welcome to the forum!  Your photos are beautiful, the one with the "teeth" is very impressive.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Hi, John. Great photos! You'll find restoring photos to be a very fulfilling, albeit challenging, activity. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Wonderful photos, John!  The 'gator vs pelican is a gem.

Happy Holidays
GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)