• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Cutie in a mess

Started by Lynnya, September 30, 2021, 06:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi all, this was a challenge to be sure.. need eyes please.. not sure about colors.. thanks for input.

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Nice cleanup Lynn! Couple quick thoughts. Wondering if the dark part of the window is from the water damage? And unsure about this, but what would you think about increasing the exposure on the little girl? There's probably a better way to do it but see what you think. Good luck. Look forward to the final.  :)

Jo Ann Snover

I've been working on others from this batch, and Bambi had me lighten faces a little. I know how dark the originals were.

I did some outlines over the blue channel from your original, and here's your brighter colors version with a couple of changes and the outlines.

I lightened the girl's skin (I used a curves adjustment layer set to Screen blend mode; masked all black; then I painted in with grays)

I slightly desaturated your image except for the girl's skin - I liked the more colorful version better, but thought the curtains and other room details were just a tad over saturated.

I am close to certain that there is a blind in the window with a scalloped edge. The "texture" on the window is damage, but the blind edge is pretty distinct (to my eyes) in the blue channel)

Your curtains and baseboard on the left of the image aren't quite in the right spot.

I think there is an ornament - something oval? on the right wall by the blue chair, but there's so much damage and nothing to clone, so I think it's best to forget it (as you did!)

If you look at the clock on the table, I think it's a mantel clock with a glass dome. Something like this one:

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

schen

I think the window had shade with scalloped bottom like this. It might have a sheer curtain in front of the shade.

I agree with the clock.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Shadow

Great find Schen. This is going to be a fun one to watch.

Lynnya

Thanks everyone.. great input.. back at it later today.  :up:

Mhayes

What a great job so far and the help that came with it. Glad the lightening of the skin didn't go too far, but yet brought back more detail. To tell the truth these photos worried me for fear that some would be lightened too far, but this one is just right.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Okay gang have at it  :D let me know what she needs to go home.

Jo Ann Snover

Super close - this is looking good.

I had a couple of suggestions and after adding a layer to your latest WIP, I thought I'd try uploading a transparent layer of the edits (that means it has to be a PNG as JPEG doesn't support transparency). I tried opening that in Photoshop and SHIFT-dragging that onto your WIP (to get the layers to align) and it seemed to work fine.

So...

-The curtains on the right were not quite where the blue channel shows them
-The blue chair had a couple of buttons missing at the top
-The mantel clock looks great, but the edits you did were all very sharp and thus didn't blend in with the original. I used the blur tool to soften the edges (and the table edge as well)

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

An addendum.

I just received my next image which is in the same room as your current image. There is a flowery pattern on some type of net curtain in the window, in addition to the scalloped edge blinds. I was wrong that the window "texture" was damage.

I think what you've done looks good, and that the net curtain pattern isn't really integral to the image, but perhaps ask Bambi if she's OK with that omission.

If she's not OK, perhaps make me put the pattern back as punishment  ;)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks for good eyes JoAnn.. I'll see what Bambi says.. if I don't mention it she may not notice :cool: I'll fix the things you've mentioned. .. If she makes me put the pattern back.. it's yours...  being as you already have the pattern :funny:

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Bambi

Hahahahahaha! I will notice

Lynnya

Oh drat... I'll do the pattern and resend.. ::)