• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Houston Preservation OPR Copy Run

Started by Mhayes, December 19, 2017, 03:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Please check out our homepage/blog for some inside information about the copy run to Houston on Dec 9-10. Unlike all our former copy runs, this one was totally sponsored by Preservation Houston. All of OPR's expenses were covered and that included my airfare, lunches, and lodging. Below is a picture of The Heights Clocktower that was build in 1894 as a mattress factory and later housed a textile mill.

Photo: Margie Hayes

As you entered the building you came to the greeting table. Seated left to right: Lin Chong, Kate Mc Cormick, Sarah-Ann Fehr, Sam Grenader son/owner building), and Jim Parsons.Standing in the back is Lucia Benton Photo: Gabriella Nissen (Gaby)  Behind them you will notice a door on rollers that has an interesting history. Sam Grenader said: " The fire door in the space where OPR took place was actually held in place by a little piece of metal, which would melt in case of a fire and release the door." According to Jim Parsons, it worked on the same principle as the wax seal, but it was apparently a technological advance

More to be posted as the day goes on.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

This copy run sponsored by Preservation Houston was an all time first for OPR. Normally we ship supplies and equipment a week in advance to our destination. The money that we receive prior to a scheduled run pays for additional supplies (paper towels, wipes, sticky notes, etc.), travel expense, lodging, and meals. Without donations we would not be able to do copy runs and is why we schedule only 1-2 a year. Preservation Houston paid for everything. Normally I would have had Jan Neil, Robert McLaughlin, and possibly Mike and Pat Sluder on the trip. None of them could come this time of year, so I came alone. What I experienced was a well planned out copy run and copy stands provided that were perfect for the task. Read more about those who helped make this copy run a success on our blog: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/2017/12/preservation-houston-hosts-opr-copy-run/

Below is one of the four copy stands purchased by Preservation Houston. Loved everything about them. Gaby liked them so well she purchased one of them for herself.

Photo: Gabriella Nissen
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

You take one look at this photo and think: No way! It was on a cardboard backing and when it got flooded it warped. The non-reflected glass was used to carefully flatten it and did not damage the photo. Viewing the challenge was Beth Allen.

On another photo from the same family is Alan Nguyen (red shirt), Gaby Nissen, and Beth Allen with her back to camera.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

Many thanks to Margie, Preservation Houston and all the volunteers.  Very nice setup with the equipment and volunteers.

Mike
Mike S.

Pat

A real top-notch run!!  Kudos to Margie, Preservtion Houston, and all the volunteers who made this a first-rate copy run.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Thanks Mike and Pat, wish you could have been there. Below from left to right are: Jim Parsons (Programs Director), David Bush (Executive Director), Myself, and Gaby (Gabriella Nissen Photography)

Photo: Gabriella Nissen

Because of this photo, I am seriously think of going on a diet. However, temptation became too much for the weak minded--me! Next door at the base of the tower is a neat bakery/cafe that kept calling my name.  I only got this because I was afraid of fainting from lack of food.

*Footnote: None of you that attended the run are allowed to comment.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jneil2

Love the photos, Margie.  Looks like a great copy run!

Jan

Shadow

Thanks for the photos Margie. Glad the run went so well. Looks like you found the perfect thing to take care of that peckish feeling!  :funny:

philbach

It sure looks like you had a successful run, Margie.  Thanks to Houston as well.  I'm looking forward to seeing some of the photos.
phil

Candice

I just caught ya on Facebook.  Great shots!! 
Candice

Mhayes

Thanks everyone. Just a few more that I would like to share. I left at 2 pm on Sunday to catch my flight back to Wichita arriving around 8 pm. During my stay I relied on Uber and on my second ride I met Corrine and from there on out I made sure she was my driver. Below is my trip back to Hobby with the Houston skyline.

Imagine my surprise when I got home to receive this letter along with a donation. We don't normally get this before the family receives their restored photos. I was gone when she came in, but wish I could have given her a hug as she made my day. I can't wait for the day when we send back her restored photos.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, thanks for the great report and photos and what a lovely thank you note!
I love your diet, will have one too.   :)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Looks like a great copy run Margie.. Glad it was so successful and I want some of that diet cake please.. :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...