• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help with military uniform

Started by paula, August 19, 2006, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paula

Can someone help me to identify the which branch of the military this uniform belongs to?  I need to find an image of the hat that goes with it because there's not much there to work with.  Some of you guys have done wonders with hats like this.  Thanks.//

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n95/pcysmith/?action=view&current=brunof3_2_8x10copy.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

milanab

looks like my dads air force uniform .. he is the first one on the left standing with the longer uniform jacket  I have a new scanner since that photo was scanned i may be able to get a better scan to complete that hat IF others agree it is the right one. 
without faith...there is no hope

paula

Excellent!  :up: Thank you.  That does look like it but I'll wait for further confirmation.  At least I have a place to start now. :)

Kenny

I agree it's an Air Force uniform. I'm a little unsure of the era this picture comes from. The "US" on his lapes is encircled, which indicates an enlisted man. I"ll do some more research on caps and cap devices and see what I come up with.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

milanab

it is identical to my dads  pins the US is encircled on his  lapel pins as well, he served in the USAF in the early 1950's, the photo of my dad is from 1953. 

Kenny

I managed to find an image of the proper cap. It's pretty low-res, but at least you can see what you're looking for: http://www.reiss.dk/hats/categories/show/default.asp?ID=287&Cat=6&Coun=7

At least it has a fairly good image of the proper enlisted man's cap device, so that's pretty helpful.

If I find a better hat picture I'll post it.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

paula

Thanks Slasher, that's the hat I'm looking for.  :up2:  Milanab, if you can scan that picture, or just the hat, as large as possible I would really appreciate it.  :wnw: The pespective is very similar as well.  Thanks so much for all the help guys.

Kenny

I found a possible donor cap. The shape is pretty close and I think that with a little skewing it will be a good match.

(link goes to high-res image)

I left a little bit of the man's forehead so you can blend it in.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

milanab

i think what kenny has provided will probably serve you well since it is in color and the tones match well my shot is black and white...try his and if that doesn't work we will try mine