• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Atlantis reporting for duty.

Started by Atlantis, October 15, 2007, 06:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

My nick here is Atlantis, I've always been interested in lost worlds. I like secrets as well so I'm also known as secretatlantis on other boards 8) .
I live in The Netherlands where water & flooding have been an issue forever.
My mothers family lost almost everything in a fire after heavy bombing when she was a little girl so I know what it's like to loose precious photomemories.
I struggled with the extremely difficult restoration in the recent worthcontest of which Ziaphra is talking about in another thread at this board. I did not have time to finish that one in time.
I discovered this project about a year ago and it really impressed me. It made me buy "the" book by Katrin Eismann and my goal for 2007 was to learn how to restore well enough to apply as a volunteer. I didn't get to practise as much as I planned the first 9 months of this year, I have 2 teenage daughters that "decided" to have a hard time at school and need more of my attention ... but things are going better now so here I am.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Tess (Tassie D)

Welcome to the forum Atlantis. Good to hear things have settled and you can join our crazy group.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

A warm welcome to you Atlantis!
Your lack of practice worrying days are over, you'll get all the practice you'll ever need and some working as an OPR volunteer!
I'm glad my girls are past their teens, I sympathize with you... ;)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

truckersau

Gavh

Don't I know you from somewhere?  heeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D

hoodman3

Atlantis, I'm not in any way being bitter or controversial, but if the USA had managed their flood control the way the Netherlands did OPR may not exist. You guys are the leaders if my info is correct. Welcome aboard!
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Charlene5

I agree Hoodman - if the federal government hadn't made such a dog's dinner of their responsibility for the levies the disaster would have still happened but at a far lesser scale than if the levies had held.  It was known for years that they were inadequate but everyone just shrugged and said "It's not my job."  I, too, admire the Dutch.  They had such horrible flooding after the war that they decided right then and there to spend the time and the money - unthinkable amounts of money at that - to fix things so that people wouldn't have to worry.  I read in the paper that engineers from the Delta states had gone to the Netherlands to study their solutions.  I just hope they paid close attention!

There will always be disasters that destroy memories including the tornadoes that are so dear to this part of the world.  I don't think we'll be unemployed any time soon.  I was thinking tonight about seeing Katrina and Rita on TV and at the time I wanted very much to I  go and help.  We took in the refugees and sent money, but I wanted to do something personally.  I can't swing a hammer or cart off trash - too old and arthritic - but I can do my very best to return someone's treasured photos to them in the best possible condition - and there aren't many people who can do that.  I think we're a fantastic bunch of people.

I'll shut up now :)
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells