• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kenny's Workshop (Advice Please)

Started by Kenny, July 02, 2006, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I've spent Wayyyyy too much time on this one. That and I haven't been able to work on it like I should. Anyway, time for this little fella to go home. I'm still not absolutely happy with how his feet and hands turned out, but all in all I think he looks pretty good.

Original:

Restored:

I feel like I gave birth  :wow:

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

Kenny,

I think this looks great.  I'd send him on home, and I hope you don't suffer from pospartum depression (although I hear Tom Cruise is an expert on the subject!) Ha Ha.....

Job well done.   :up2:

Christine

Ausimax

Good job Kenny, a hard one. By now I bet you feel as if you have adopted him.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Kenny

I think you put an amazing effort into this little guy.  My assessment of the hands & feet is that the only way to get more definition would be by creating shading and shadows.  I don't know about you, but that's one of the most difficult parts of the restorations for me.  Not having a fine art background, I have a hard time figuring out just where to darken areas to pull out the shapes in a realistic manner.  Maybe with practice we'll all get more comfortable with that part of the restorations.

Hope all's well with you and your son.  How's his recovery coming?

Best wishes

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Hi Glenna, Max and Christine, thanks for the critique.

I feel I could possibly draw in the shadows and creases, but I'm stuck with using a mouse and I lack the skill to do it with just that. Maybe one day I'll get a Wacom and who knows?

Thanks for asking about my son. They gave him an injection into the disc that's ruptured and he's doing physical therapy twice a week. That, and he has to be in traction daily. They ordered him a portable traction device and he straps himself in and it pulls the vertebrae apart. He has to do that for an hour at a time, twice a day.

He says the pain has really lessened and he's coping pretty well with everything. He's a tough guy and he has a heart of gold. Everyone who meets him loves him and I'm proud of him and the courage he's showing.

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny, I'm so glad your son is mending.  He must be super special to  be handling this setback so well.  What's his name?  Is he able to go to school?  It's wonderful to know how proud of him you are, because that will help him get through this even quicker.  There's nothing like a parent's love to give a young person the courage to keep on going even in the worst of times.  Please give him a hug for me!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

My son is named after me. At school he goes by Kenny, but around here we either call him Bud or Junior. He's still going to school. He's determined to get through his senior year. He missed quite a lot at first after the accident, but he's making it all up and then some. He's quite a guy.  :loveit:

Here he is hamming it up before the accident:

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny

On top of all his other wonderful qualities, Bud is a handsome young man.  What wonderful strength of character he has.  I know back pain, and the fact that he's going to school in spite of the therapy and pain tells me that he's a person of much subtstance.  I suspect he gets it from his dad!

G'night!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

marylou

Best wishes for your son, he's a very good looking young man. Great work on your restoration too!

Kenny

My latest project:

As you can see, I have my work cut out for me. The original image size for this is 4 x 6 and not the greatest quality to begin with. The faces are so grainy in high-res that I'm going to leave them alone and focus on the damaged parts.

I plan on doing the usual adjustments: levels, etc... Then repair the lower bodies and legs and then the background. Large parts of this will have to be cloned, but i think the end result will be up to OPR standards.

Any advice is welcome, as usual

Kenny :)

ps...sorry I haven't posted much the past few days, things have been crazy around here  :D

But why is the rum gone?

OPRAng

Hey Kenny,

A smart crop might be a good option. Stay in touch with your distribution coordinator so that you guys are on the same page. Thanks for jumping in on such a tough one!

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Kenny

All I can do is wish you luck!  This one is way beyond my expertise.  I hope you are able to at least crop out some of the superfluous background to make the job less daunting.

Is everything okay with you?  How's "Slasher Jr." doing?

Best to you!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I think I can do this one without a crop. I'm hoping anyway...

My son is doing pretty good. They gave him another injection in his spine this week but it hasn't started working yet. He's still doing traction 2 hours a day. He's really hanging tough. :)

Thanks for asking  :loveit:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Here's take one...

The damage kept drawing my eye, so I decided to start outside and work inward. I'll have to go back and make sure it doesn't look too obviously cloned later, but the big fix is done on the background. There was a man on the far left in the background that I finally decided to remove. There wasn't much left of him except for a silhouette anyway, so I cloned him out. I can still do a crop later to bring more focus to the people if I have to.

The skin tones are a huge problem, here's why:

This is a crop of the little boy's face in high res. I feel anything I do will make it look painted. When zoomed out at normal viewing size he looks fine, though. I feel I should leave the skin alone and just repair major damage.

Anyway, my eyes are tired tonight, so I'm calling it quits for the evening.

I appreciate you taking time to look, as always...

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Kenny,

you are doing a great job on this one, re: the faces, I think you can just leave them as is, as well as the other parts of the people that aren't in the damaged area, the pic displays at about 7x5 on my monitor and the detail looks good, there is so little detail in the photo that any work on the faces will stand out like dogs ------.

You are fortunate that all the males are wearing dark trousers, will make it a bit easier, main hassle will be the feet.

Keep up the great work.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!