• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Texture from China

Started by Hannie, October 10, 2007, 10:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi everyone!

Si I won't go completely insane I am working on my own personal little project and would like to share some of it with you.  Í am restoring a photo for someone I know, it is a picture of his grandparents taken in China a long time ago.  I love the photo and all it portrays. Unfortunately the photo has the grossest honeycomb texture you have ever seen.  It is a fairly small photo, 4x6" and the owner wants to enlarge it and send it to back to China.  Anything bigger than the original size and you see white dots the likes of whom you never knew existed.  I mean white dots panorama, it gives a total new meaning to the words "white dots". 
I scanned the photo at a high resolution (1600dpi) and in color.  I then flipped it upside down and scanned it again.
In Photoshop I straightened the upside down photo and pasted it as a layer on top of the first photo.  I set the blending mode to difference and lined the two photos up to fit exactly together.  Then I changed to blending mode back to normal and the opacity to 50%.  I am quite pleased with the outcome, not only did the texture fade but also the shadows that deepened the other damage haven completely disappeared.  This photo will now take me only a couple of hours to clean (I hope!)  :P

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Great job of eliminating the tonal change across the crease lines.  And the white dots are greatly reduced too.  :up:

I have two questions:
1. Since the texture is from the matte paper and of very regular pattern, would FFT filter work help?
2. When you blend the two layers together, is there a blending mode that would use the darker of the two for each pixel?

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

I've been having bad luck with my FFT filter.  Actually it is the iFFT filter that will not do it for me.  Photoshop registers that iFFT was applied but the picture just won't show and remains in FFT (with the black dots and star in the middle).  I haven't been able to read anywhere what is going wrong here , maybe it is a bad plug in version.  That is the reason I have been looking for alternative methods of dealing with texture glare.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Hi Hannie!

I couldn't get the FFT filter to work either until I found Ro's tutorial here http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185.  It's so simple even I can do it. 

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Hannie

Hi MJ,

Thanks a lot for the link, I will try that out right away!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Hannie

I love the effect of your technique.  I tried a similar route with my little girl last night, but the results weren't nearly that good.  I think it may be the difference between a photo with texture (a regular pattern) vs. one with ungodly grain and many huge dark splotches.  I still appreciate the logic, so I may try it again tonight with a few other blending modes and see what I get.  If I can't get her looking decent soon, you may all be treated to an "MJ rant" from me!

The photo on which you're working is lovely.  What a wonderful legacy.

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Yes Glenna, the texture on the photo must be regular for the FFT filter to work that properly so I am told.  I still haven't got the darn iFFT filter to work for me.  Even after taking Ro's tut (thanks again MJ).
For irregular grain and specks it is probably not a bad idea to use several different strengths Dust & Scratches layers with layer masks and you those to paint away the grain and splotches.

:-*

Hannie

Edit:  finally got my FFT filter to work.  Turned out I didn't have RGB version installed so went and dowloaded the right one!  Back to the drawing table... :)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi y'all!

I just finished my China project, thought it would be nice to tell you what I did.
Like I said earlier I scanned the photo twice, the second time turned it 180 degrees.  That got rid of a lot of texture but I like even better what it did to all the scratches and folds.
I also ran the photo through the FFT filter, I had to lower the resolution from 1600 to 600.  (FFT doesn't like to iFFT 80 Mb images!)  That got rid of even more of the honeycomb texture.  I did not add the FFT layer to the original photo, instead I used the FFT image (black/white) to work on further, added a level adjustment layer and used hue/saturation to give it back that sepia color.
Worked on the damage and blurred out any leftover honeycomb patterns.
I really enjoyed working on this photo!  :)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

pcraft

WOW!!!!!!!  That's amazing Hannie....    :up:

Mhayes

Hannie,

What a beautiful job you did with this one!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Hannie

My compliments on a beautiful restoration – and some interesting methods to scan it and clean it.  You're awesome!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

Oh Hannie you did a fabulous! job.  Amazing!

Cheers,
MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

schen

What an amazing restoration!!!   :up:

It is nteresting to see her pull her left sleeve up to show the jade bracelet.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

:up: Beautiful job Hannie. It has such a surreal feeling to it.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

:up: :up: :up:  So pretty!