• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Texture from China

Started by Hannie, October 10, 2007, 10:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truckersau

Thats one nice clean up job.
Just one question, if you don't mind. I've seen the term "FFT filter" a couple of times, could you please enlighten me on this. If not here could you PM me about it, thank you.
Ray..

Johnboy

Hannie,

Beautiful work.  :wnw:

Johnboy

Hannie

Aaaw you guys, thanks so much, you shouldn't have....  :halo:  (but I'm mighty glad you did!)  >:D

Ray, FFT filter basically it is a pattern removal filter used in many disciplines like sound, forensics, imaging etc., if you want to read about it some more:
http://student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/CG/fourier.html
Don't be put off by all the mathematical formulas, it is an interesting article! 

Candy already posted this link, for the sake of completeness I will post it again:
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185 

Nice detail about the jade bracelet Chen!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, seeing what you have accomplished getting rid of the pattern on the picture, make me want to try it on a few that I have that are on canvas.  Thanks to both you and Candy for posting the link about the free download. The only part that I am not certain about is on downloading the WinRar. When you go to that link; it list it as WinRARS.71 and as a "Trial." By trial does that mean after a certain amount of days you either purchase it or you loose the use of it?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Margie!

Go ahead and install the trial version of Winrar.  All that will happen after 30 days is that after opening theWinrar you'll get a pop up window informing you how to purchase the program.( and thus get rid of the pop up window every time you use  the program).  you cantill use the program!

Hannie

edit: sorry about the double post, is there any way of removing it?  :-[
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

truckersau

Hannie & Candy, Thanks for that info.  :up2:
It looks very interesting, I like the end result of it.
Now I just have to learn how to use it.

schen

My family finally found out that I do photo restoration.  I got a stack yesterday and some of them have texture paper.  I am trying to follow your procedure but am having difficulty aligning the flipped upside-down picture with the right-side-up one.  Any trick you may share?  My problem is that I can not see well without zooming in but then I lost the handle to transform the picture.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Hi Chen,

There is no chance you will be getting bored soon then,  I hope for you that not too may of them are textured!
5 copies of my China restorations went to China the other day, this portrait was the only picture there was of the grandparents.  The family tree can now be completed  The prints turned out great!

Now for the lining up of the the 2 layers, you will have to use the '"difference" blending mode, zoom in as much as you can and you will find that the 2 layers lock together quite easily.  If you're not sure that they match perfectly just turn the eye on and off quickly (after changing the blending mode back to '"normal"at 50% opacity).
That should do the trick.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

schen, get your versions of the image right side up. Layer one on top of the other. Put top layer in difference blend mode. Use the move tool on top layer till image goes black. They will be registered.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/87634824

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

I knew there is a better way than what I was doing.  I almost got crossed eyes working on alignment.

Thanks Kiska for the pictorial explanation.

Hannie, the family in China will be very happy.  That grandparents picture looks about 100 years old and you were able to restore it to such a nice shape.

Besides the texture paper, all these family pictures of mine are very easy with light fading, discoloration, scratches and small rip, nothing major.  I banned my family from printing photos on texture paper  :) but my daughter revolted because she does not like visible finger prints people put on the photos.    :mad:
Shujen Chen

Hannie

Chen, one little warning, when you line up your photos through difference blending mode it is possible that you will not get a totally black image.  I think this has to do with the fact that the images in Kiska's (great!) tutorial were identical images.  Those will line up to perfectly black image.  We are working with 2 images that are actually different from each other because of the light angle (180 deg.).  Most of the lined up image should be black but for instance the cracks and texture spots will remain somewhat lighter.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Thanks for the warning.  We want to merge them because they are different.
Shujen Chen

kiska

Hannie, that's right. Especially if the image is not perfectly square,when you turn it to scan again, it will b a little off (won't go completely black). The transform tool might help to adjust the upper layer.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ratz

A really beautiful job Hannie, I can see why it was so much fun for you yo work on, it's such a lovely image. :up: