• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

JK's Difficult Restorations

Started by idyllopus, July 01, 2006, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idyllopus

This one had been classed as difficult.  But fortunately there was almost no dmage to speak of to the individual in the photo.

A lot of fun with this one.  Enjoyed being able to work on a woman seated on the moon. :)  Left some irregularities in shading because they kept it looking more natural to me.

John

wow.   :up:  Wow, I'm speechless at how some of these are turning out.   I can't imagine what happiness these families will feel when they see these.

Nice job!

idyllopus

Thank you.   It's a pleasure to be able to work on these photos.  OPR is about as remarkable as it comes, and I mean all aspects of it.  What you guys have put together is amazing.

Mark Wilson

Good Job. Nicely restored.

-Mark
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

idyllopus

Putting this here before I submit it.  There was less grain to work with than appeared when viewing in Photoshelter but more grain than a lot of others, right?  A lot of black flecking that was not discernible until you see the larger.

As with many of these, the only way to work was to clean a tiny area and then heal and clone and copy as appropriate and then clean another tiny area and so on and so forth.

Sometimes I think I havethe mouth too dark on the right but every time I lighten it I end up going back to the darker version.  I compared the mouth with several older photos of similar lighting and it seems right next to those.

idyllopus

Here's the original:

Here's the restored:

A tough one, very spotty.  Was dangerous on this to push the curves.  I had two false starts on this one when I tried to take it lighter, bringing out highlights, versions which I had to scrap and go with the darker.  The image was  printed on some sort of cloth and there is a lot of rippling damage, completely ruining the suit jacket on the man.  So I decided it was best to go dark and restore it to a point, which was going to be considerable enough work as it was.  Also, I believe this is a composite image and it started really looking kind of funky going lighter, the figures becoming isolated from one another.

I applied a bit of sepia tint, hoping it may be printed out in color because I imagine the owner is very used to the discoloration with this very old image.

There was distortion in the woman's face from water, an eye damaged, but that was no problem with cloning.  The boy's ear was gone but as it turned out his ear appeared to be pretty much exactly like his dad's so I just cloned the needed part and scaled down.

The woman's dress does appear to be protruding over the shoulder/sleeve.

If you want to see larger versions (1000 pixels wide) links are below, first for the original and then for the restored.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j189/idyllopus/10originallarge.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j189/idyllopus/10restoredlarge.jpg

gail99art

Re: Lady with hair up

Hi JK. I think you've done a superb job on this but just one little thing that worries me slightly is the shadow under the chin- it looks a bit heavy and abrupt to me (I am no means an expert!) I don't know if you could soften it a bit?
Great job though!
Gail x

idyllopus

You may be right.  I will take another look at it.