• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thoughts?

Started by Tess (Tassie D), October 01, 2007, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

I need some eyes on this one. The original seems blurred and I have tried Focus magic motion blur and out of focus plugins to no avail. Is there any way to refocus it? I have done a high pass sharpen and will tone down the white a bit after.
Our girl in the background seems to have her face distorted a bit. Do I try to fix it or leave it?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

I download your original and ran it through Alien Skin jpeg repair.  The girls faces were very pixilated - is that the right word? - covered with those nasty jpeg squares.  Here's what I got after repair:

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Tess (Tassie D)

The worst bit is the side shift of the clothing. You can see the blur better here in the closeup.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Wow you picked a tough one there Tess...What size is the original photo?

I think you have done great with this..though I would try to fix around the nose of the girl moving forward...If its only a small picture it should print out ok...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Tess (Tassie D)

Yeah it's only a 5x3 Sanbie so it will print out ok. I managed to sharpen it a bit more so I'll send it home.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Tassie,

I don't think there is much you can do for a blurry or out of focus photo, even when you take them yourself, you have to realise that some of these photos hardly qualified as keepers originally, and then you realise that these are probably the best or only photos these people have left.

I am sure they will be delighted just to have them back restored even with all their original faults, you have done a nice job on it.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Tess,

What you have done so far already makes it look so much better!  I agree with Max that there is not much you can do about that motion blur.  I tried a tool in Photoshop called smart sharpen to get rid of some of the blur, that worked to some extend but it also made the picture look worse.

Hannie. 
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Sometimes a bit of motion blur adds to the 'feel' or impact of the photograph and gives it more realism. There's a lot of movement happening in that photo - turned heads, glances, laughter - the blur suits it fine. 8)

Tess (Tassie D)

Yeah I gave up trying to fix it. I figured they will remember the girls falling about laughing more than a crystal clear pic so I sent it home. Thanks everyone. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]