• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need Certification

Started by Ausimax, September 29, 2007, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockthumper

It looks more like a 1980's date to me, I can't tell what the last digit is but 25th April was a Sunday in 1982....
A google search returns this -
"the Bruninis of Vicksburg, produced a respected Catholic religious leader, the late Joseph Bernard Brunini, who was bishop of the Natchez-Jackson Diocese from 1966 to 1984."
- which would fit with either date.

klassylady25

Here's something that's not been mentioned.  Perhaps one of the moderators (Dave or Chris) can give the owners a call for a verification on the date. 

Ausimax

Thanks for your help folks, I think I may have to give this game up as my eyesight must be going, Here is a 100% crop of the "blot" mirrored and contrast enhanced, and if anybody can find a date in that, my eyesight is shot. :'(

I think I will send it as is, I am fairly certain the first number is a 7, if anything turns up they can alter it before it is printed, there is a thought, I wonder if these get printed as photos or as documents?

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Ausimax

Next cab off the rank. Your thoughts please.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

klassylady25

A bit on the orange side. Levels, should help it.   Sorry pic was deleted.. am having fits with ImageShack today!!  Growl!!  :knuppel:

kiska

A new tut at the NAPP website. To find the gray point:

1 Add new layer above background pic. Fill with 50% gray. Set this layer to difference blend

2 Threshold adj layer. Move slider all the way to left. Slowly move right. When black pixels appear shift/click with dropper on black.

3 Trash thresh and diff layers.

4 Levels or curves adj layer. Click gray dropper> then click on the image where you set the dropper point.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/86509589

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Great restoration Max!
Kiska, when I tried the NAPP tut on color adjustment I couldn't get the colors like yours (and Candy's), colors stayed murky.  When I tried the black and white point the colors came out looking great.  I picked slipper (Aussie:thong!) for white and between the trees for black point.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Hannie,

The first example I used Candy's version and did the gray point only. This time I used the original: black 6% brightness on man's shorts. White 96% brightness on label on man's cap. NAPP gray on dock boards.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/86527016

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

klassylady25

Kiska, I'm sorry my picture went poof!!  but I do believe that you are on the mark.  Those are very good colors, or truer may be a better choice of words.

kiska

Candy,

My pbase pics go poof sometimes. I've resorted to adding the link with the pic...........just in case. :P
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tess (Tassie D)

Kiska's second one is close to what I get. Nice work on the repairing Max.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi folk,

Thanks for your help. Kiska tried the method you suggested and couldn't get it right, took the orange out but the image was still muddy set the white point, that helped, then the black point and disaster.

I then tried it on the original, and used the gray point from it on the restored, set black and white points and it isn't to bad - what worked well on the original didn't transfer too well to the restored version, on the original the gray point setting was on the shoulder of the mans shirt, on the restored it was on the front of the girls shorts.

In the end I think I got a better result with auto levels and bumping the brightness a bit - this colour correcting bit fair drives me mad at times - even when I try doing it by the numbers, I seem to have all the wrong numbers. >:(

Max

Hannie

Hi Max,

I took your restored photo, used auto color and then upped the contrast to 13.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Thanks Hannie, tried that on the full size image and I had to set the contrast to -7 to get it to look like yours, think I will just send in the best result and let the printers sort it out.
Thanks for all your feedback, I seem to be learning new methods all the time - much appreciated.

Max

klassylady25

We do all have different ways at approaching photos and that's what makes reading fun!!   :hug: