• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My Latest

Started by Ausimax, September 15, 2007, 10:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Max,

You are funny! I have a feeling that you are right about no easy fix. I tried going into LAB and doing a surface blur on all the channels, which made it lose too much definition. The only thing I ended up doing was going to the healing brush and sampling the colors as I went along--boy will that take a while!

I noticed that there are a lot of these pictures coming out with the white dots, which I take it, must be a problem with the pictures being a matte finish? Today I was practicing getting my copy stand ready and taking pictures of different types of photos and found out real quick that the matte finish is the pits! On one of my pictures, I could do the surface blur with some success but I was only having the problem of the pattern (and dust) not the white dots. I'm wondering if there is any way before the photo is copied to lift off whatever has settled into the paper. I was looking for solutions on the Web and I came across one site suggesting putting a glass over the photo, but I would think that would create another problem with the glare.

Long story short--I'm no help!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

I think this is about as good as it is going to get, still a lot of spots and streaks on the dress and coat but I don't think they will be to noticeable at print size, I think this is one of those times it is better not to over-restore,

I used a global solution, got rid of all the white dots on the dark colours with the Dust & Scratches filter, left a little bit of texture to be smoothed out but very little work actually.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

I don't think you could get it much better than that Max. :up2: It's a whole lot better than what they had.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Max, you did a great job on those white dots!  What you did also made the couple "stand out" more, looks much better.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Max

The couple looks really good!  (do I hear the faint flutter of tiny translucent wings?)  How in the world do you get these done so quickly?  You're beyond amazing!

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Glenna,

Surprised myself with the last one, it was so bad that I began to despair, I knew I would have to tackle the damage/white spots/streaks globally, so I started playing around trying different things, ran the de-interlacing filter on it about 6 times and that didn't help then I tried the Dust & Scratches filter and it cleaned up the dark areas like magic.

It ended up only taking a couple of hours to finish, where on the other one I spent at least 20 hours picking off spots.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Johnboy

Max I think what you are seeing in your photos is a linen type photo surface with a luster finish. If you look at the reflection pattern you can pick out a linen type appearance. The luster finish is almost the same as a glossy finish. It makes the original photos look great but for our work it sends you crazy.  :wow: Some of this may be able to be corrected by putting polarizing filters over the lights and camera lens. Margie, this is what I was referring to in my post about your set up.

Johnboy

Hannie

To get rid of texture reflection it also helps to copy the photo twice: the second time rotated at 180%.  During restoration you can then merge those 2 images together.
Of course that is s.t. that would have to be done during the copy run.  I'm afraid the folks doing the copying already have too much to do as it is....

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

The latest disaster, I can't really decide if this was colour or BW so I compromised and tried both, in real life it has a herringbone sort of pattern all over it, couldn't find any way to eliminate it and still have any detail remaining.

The blue channel had the least damaged so I worked with it.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Max

kiska

Lookin' good Max. I would go with the BW, I think.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Max

Great job -- I'd turn in both.  My one pick is that I think the bottom of her dress has a straight hem, rather than being wrapped and longer in the front.  I'm saying that because the little of the hem that can be seen to our left and the part beyond the damage to the right appears to be about at floor level.

From what I can tell, little of the texture remains, and what's there is barely discernible.  Not enough to distract from the wonderful restoration you've done.

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

They both look great Max, you did a wonderful job, wish I could work that fast!
I agree with Glenna on the bottom of the dress, that would the icing on the cake!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Top work AusiMax.  :up:

Ratz

Beautiful, beautiful work again Max :up:
You are the greatest. They are going to be so happy to get these back.

Tess (Tassie D)

Great job Max. I'd soften that box thing in the background a little so it doesnt take away from the beautiful job on the Bride. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]