• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Removing White Dots

Started by rockthumper, September 14, 2007, 08:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

That one is a mess schen. I ran the crop through the median noise filter with the aperture set at 5 with fairly good results. I masked out the eyes, nose & mouth first.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

This took me 5 minutes with WD3. I made individual passes for the face (masking out eyes and mouth), hair and background and ran it manually on the veil. I was left with a few dots to be removed by cloning and some edges to fade in.

Ausimax

From this:

To this in 2 clicks:

1. Dust & Scratches filter - Radius 6    Threshold 25

2. Curves - click on dress collar with white point sampler.

Done.

I have just reworked this image in half an hour and its better than the other with over 20 hours work.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

Great tip Max. Couldn't you just scream though, 20 hours v 2 hours.  :knuppel:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks for the tips Max!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ratz

That's fantastic, Max. Sure cuts down on the time and gives a great result.

klassylady25

It's a great remedy for some pictures that's for sure.  The pano that I'm working on (military) needs to keep all the detail that it can.  I tried your remedy for it and was tempted, but for this project ATD is required.  I've stored your lesson and it will definately help on some of the others that I'm working!  Thank you Max

I just love the military!!!   :loveit:

sanbie

I have been driven insane with my new one...I just can't seem to get rid of the white dots enough to be able to do the face properly...I have started it 4 times doing soooo many different ways and each time the face especially in the right hand side doesn't turn out right...am posting the original in the hope that someone will come up with an idea of what would be best to do...

Hope someone can help...

Sanbie

paintshop pro X1

sanbie

PLEASE.... :hug: Otherwise I will have to give it back as I can't see a way around it!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

kstruve

The first thing I would do would be to run a FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) filter on it to get rid of the paper texture.  As far as I know, you can only use FFT on a PC installation of Photoshop, not Mac.  But I may be wrong.  You can find a tutorial as well as a download for the filter here:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185

After you run the FFT, I'd create a new layer above the original on "Overlay" blending mode, and use a paint brush to "dodge" and "burn" the reflections from the photo.  Use a dark gray or black color to burn, and use a light gray or white brush to dodge.  Somebody posted a tutorial about this technique a while back, so you might want to search for it.

I hope this helps,
Kurt

Ausimax

Hi Sanbie,

I had a go at it using the de-interlace filter and that did no good, I tried the dust and scratches filter and that removed a lot of the white and streaks, it reduces the sharpness a bit but you should be able to repair the face and then copy that back into another sharper image.

It still has the paper texture, I tried to remove that with the FTT filter action, but for some strange reason it wouldn't work and crashed PS. Hopefully somebody will come up with a more elegant solution for you.

I see Kurt has posted as I type, maybe he could run the FTT on it for you, as I know you use PSP and I'm not sure if it works on that.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

sanbie

I have looked for FTT on psp and I can't find it...I think then this just may need photoshop and might be wise for me to send back so someone who has it can fix it up...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

sanbie,

I have just had another play with it and I managed to get rid of the photo texture with the Dust & Scratches set to Radius 6 Threshold 1

If you can't do this in PSP let me know and I will upload a copy of the image you could use.

Max

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Sanbie. I ran RT's wd3 on the face twice with the eyes and mouth deselected and it smoothed the features out fairly well. You can see the difference round the mouth how much it reduced the white dots.
I thought you had photoshop too? You can always copy/paste into PSP. The FFT filter will work in PSP.
I gotta go buy a new mouse, have worn out the right click lol so hope this helps a bit.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Ok back to the drawing board then!! Thanks everyone...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1