• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first restoration before and after - all comments appreciated!

Started by QD, September 09, 2007, 09:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QD

Oh thank you so much everyone.  That helps sooo much and it is so sweet to see him growing up! 
- Rachel

glennab

Hi!

These restorations are all wonderfully done.  I have a feeling they're from the first day when we weren't limiting the number people could bring in.  I don't think this was the largest group collected -- at least one was more than 300. We also took in photos from a wedding that numbered around 170 (most with minimal damage).  Unemployment is not going to be a problem for OPR volunteers for quite a while!

Max, on your masterpiece, I don't think cropping will be a problem.  It would be great if the other people who collected the photos would also give you feedback on what they were told, but I asked everyone who had badly damaged areas that didn't include people if they minded that the photos be cropped, and they all said to crop whatever we needed to; the people were important, not the background.  In this case, I recognize these as photos I collected, so I'd have asked about cropping. 

As for the size of the cropped images, there's a plug-in called Extensis PixlSmart (it integrates with Photoshop -- and possibly other software; I'll check on that) that can take a photo way up in size without losing it's definition or resolution.  I've used it, so I can vouch for that.  Maybe Admin could have a copy for the final images, in case they needed to be sized up to match the original.

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Glenna,

Forgot to ask you to ask them whether they mind a vignette.   :funny:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

sanbie

Quote from: rockthumper on September 11, 2007, 02:04:43 AM
Wow some of those look good! Wish I could see the before shots.  :)

Ok since the pics are so big I cropped one for the body and one for the head...

before shots!

See I was driven nuts to!!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

sanbie

Thank you RT...But those white dots nearly got to me!!

SAnbie
paintshop pro X1

QD

Hannie

Rachel, that is such an improvement!  Now the baby still looks like the original without the damage.  I'm sure the owner will be very happy!  :up2:

If you like, you could add just a tiny touch of blur just around the head to make the baby stand out more.  Also a tiny bit of blurring on the skin.  (in my example I also burned the eyelids, eye brows and mouth just a little).

Great job!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Rachel

This one was definitely worth the restart.  I do like Hannie's blur around the head, but other than that I think this little guy's ready to go home.  Nice work!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

QD

Thanks.
What I ended up doing was finding a pic of another baby on line and taking a swatch of her skin.  Then I used that as a palette for the healing brush.  It is a technique I will be using again I'm sure.

I like what you did Hannie.  Good idea using the burn tool.  I often forget about that one. 

Hannie

A "skin transplant"!  Very smart idea and it worked out so well!
It's great to read about all the different techniques people use, I learn s.t. new every day.  8)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

Looks real good considering what you had to work with. I would consider softening those two hot spots you have on the bottom of the image. Those bright white areas are a bit distracting. Other than that, I'd say it's probably good to go.