• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first restoration before and after - all comments appreciated!

Started by QD, September 09, 2007, 09:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QD

Hi all,
I am far from satisfied with this.  Would love any help anyone can give.

- Rachel

rockthumper

Hi Rachel,
I'm a newbie too so I don't know if I'm going to be much help to you but I am impressed with what you've done. Nice work bringing out the facial features. The only problem I see with the face is the large areas of 'flat' colour on the forehead and cheeks. Maybe you could blend them in to the darker regions with an intermediate colour, though I'm not sure of the best way of doing that. Also I'm not a fan of the blue background - I see blue in the original but would be inclined to think it was a stain rather than a background. Maybe if you muted the blue (lower the saturation)  it would improve it?
You've done a top job on all the stains and mess.
RT.

kiska

I would smooth the damage on the hair. I don't think this is an African American baby.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hi Rachel,

You sure picked a hard one for your first!  You did a great job on bringing back the skin tone!  I agree with Kiska on the ethnicity of the baby.  I also agree with RT on the blue but I do think the original background was blue (much softer).
Wish I could be of more help!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

QD

Thanks all,
I wish I knew for sure the ethnicity of the baby.  I will work on the hair and see what happens - I have left it alone so far. 

The blue is easy to fix and I'm sure that will help.  It is so difficult to get the translucency of baby skin right but I would like to be good at it since I am partial to baby pics.

The first day I had access to the gallery there were only 3 pics up and this was the easiest one!  I just about hand painted it from scratch to get it to where it is now.

kiska

Rachel, what's the family name on the pic. Someone else should have one from the same batch and you could tell the ethnicity that way........most likely. :)
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

QD

Quote from: kiska on September 10, 2007, 11:51:45 AM
Rachel, what's the family name on the pic. Someone else should have one from the same batch and you could tell the ethnicity that way........most likely. :)

Oh good idea - the name on the pic is Tammy Adam

Tess (Tassie D)

Welcome to the forum Rachel. I think there are a few of us doing AdamT.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

paintshop pro X1

schen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

klassylady25

Quote from: sanbie on September 10, 2007, 10:54:14 PM
Yep mine was AdamT to...Sanbie

Sanbie, you might think about adding just a touch of noise where you made your corrections on the shirt.  The corrected areas are smoother than the texture of the shirt.  

Candice

Ausimax

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

rockthumper

Wow some of those look good! Wish I could see the before shots.  :)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25