• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Eyes Needed

Started by Ausimax, September 08, 2007, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

I am having difficulty finding any detail in the top left quarter of this one, not made easy by only being 3x3, I get the impression that there is a table there but that is about all and I can't quite figure out what has happened to the girls right arm, any thoughts would be helpful.

http://www.divshare.com/download/1892548-490

http://www.divshare.com/download/1892546-be5

Real pain, can't seem to get ImageShack to upload images tonight, well I uploaded them but they didn't seem to arrive, first time I've used divshare and they seem a bit slow.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Max,

It looks like the detail in the top left corner is completely gone.  I think there was a wall there with a little cabinet in front of it.  Only the fingers of the right hands are visible, at a funny angle.
Good luck with this one Max!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Max - just so you know Divshare seems really flakey at the moment. It took me three or four goes to get the photo you posted in my thread and I can't get the ones here to come up at all. Hopefully that's just a temporary problem.

Tess (Tassie D)

It looks like the little girl doesnt have a hand on the right arm, maybe a deformity/accident? I think the desk goes along to the corner?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Hannie, Tess thanks for your input, I think Hannie is right about the girls arm/hand I think from the elbow it is aligned straight at the camera, there doesn't seem to be damage there that would have obliterated it.

The desk is good - have to wing it with the rest I think, thanks for your help, verification from others means I am not just seeing things.

RT, I had trouble with DivShare when I previewed, took for ever to open, however that was better than ImageShack, I could not get images to upload to them, I uploaded the three images at least twice - they seemed to upload OK but never appeared in the display, weird!

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

rockthumper

I think the girl has her elbow on the arm of the chair and her forearm pointing straight at the camera. I see three of her fingers and, I think, her thumb holding the end of the spoon like she's about to flick it:

Good luck.
RT.

Ausimax

This is where I'm at, couldn't make out any further detail in the corner, there could be another cupboard or a chair, but anything I put there would be purely conjecture so I left it empty.

Max

rockthumper

Great cleanup Max.  :up:
If I can throw in my 10c worth - It occurred to me that since the left hand side of the photo is, as I think you are saying, conjecture there is a chance that to the owner of the photos it will look 'wrong' - rather than have that happen perhaps it would be better to crop the photo and leave the parts that you are sure of?

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

How about a vignette? 
Just kidding! 
You did a great job cleaning up that corner Max, well done.  :up2:

Now we get to the part where we all agree to disagree.  Some may say that the little cabinet against the left wall could for all practical purposes be very important to the owner of the photo (remember the pink tutu?).  In that case you can only clean up as much as possible and return the photo with some damage still visible.  Not very satisfactory is it?
Kiska's solution looks much better to me, then again, by not cropping and leaving the damage the owner can decide for him/herself what to do.

It is always hard to send a picture back that doesn't seem "finished". 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

I had forgotten there was already an official OPR position on cropping and vignetting as described here - http://www.oprworkshop.org/forum/index.php?topic=826.0
My bad.   ::)

Mhayes

Max,

Great cleanup! My 2 cents worth would be to go with the crop, since you don't have enough to work with in that corner. Plus, I think cropped in close like what Kiska has done looks better. That's easy for me to say when I haven't spent the time restoring the paneling to the wall as you have. By not cropping, it seems like your eyes are drawn to that big open space.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ratz

I'd leave just as it is Max. Great clean-up :up:

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree it would probably look better cropped, unfortunately it is only 3x3 to start with and cropping and and resizing to original dimensions would degrade the image even further, I think I will send it back as is and let QC make those decisions.

Max

klassylady25

Just a thought Max.  

:hug: C