• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Final Attempt

Started by Mhayes, August 26, 2007, 02:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

This is the end result of going back and starting all over again. I took Christine's advice and took a break from my previous attempt at this picture. The other version was so bad that I started fresh with the hopes that it would turn out better. It looks somewhat better than the last but I am not happy with it or able to finish it. There are pieces of the puzzle that I can't seem to bring together. As you can see the groom's hands are not finished and there is the problem of the bride having two hands linking his when there should only be one. The groom's (and bride) face still needs work especially the eyes and the skin tone. Even though this is a little better; I still have the problem of the face looking painted. Hopefully someone can put the finishing touches on it.

Although this wasn't successful--boy did I learn!

Christine, after you have had a chance to return home and catch your breath, I will see how you want to handle the revision.

Thanks

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Margie,

I don't agree that you weren't successful, you have done an amazing job!   :up2:
Just clean up around the hands a bit more and tone down the teeth a shade.   You can apply the slightest shadows on the collarbone. cleavage and underneath the cheekbones of the bride.  I f you give his (hers to) face and hands a little blur, that will make it not stand out so much. 
If you are not happy with the background you could try and smooth it out a bit with the healingbrush and lots of blur. 
To make it all melt together a bit more you could give all the sharp lines a little extra blur. (long live the blur tool).

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie,

Thanks for the help.  :) What you did with the blur looks great. I had done the Gaussian blur, masking out the couple and did not like the effect. Then I tried a motion blur to make it look like a curtain behind and that didn't work. I also like what you did with the carpet. It looks nicer than trying to just change it to one solid tone, which would have made it so flat. Did you blur certain areas or all and then mask what you didn't want blurred? The groom's hand can be cloned somewhat from parts of his hand. Since there were no fingers (maybe a trace of the index finger), I wasn't sure how to fudge it. Probably could make his fingers look like they go inside his jacket?

I don't know if you noticed but by the lower edge of the bride's veil is probably just water damage but I wasn't sure. At one time I thought maybe the cake but don't have a clue. My feelings were that if I wasn't sure--leave it. The worse part about this picture is that it is impossible to restore the groom's suit; instead by darkening you make the mind visualize it as it must have been.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie,

I used the burn tool on the carpet and a little on the bottom of the dress and then applied a slight blur.  I also burned the suit, hair and side of the veil. Used a strong blur on the background  but it really needed a bit more cleaning up first (healing brush). Used a lighter blur on the whole picture and a slightly stronger one on the straight lines.  I was not very careful, didn't use selections, just varied the size of the brush often.
If you start with a low % blur you can aways add a little more or brush back and forth a few times.
QuoteMy feelings were that if I wasn't sure--leave it
I totally agree with that!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie,

Thanks! I don't know why I was using the blur as one size fits all. I will go back and vary how I use the blur. Blurring the bottom of the dress helped too. Sometimes I think I am in doubt as to what should have a nice sharp edge and what shouldn't. In this case where there is so much damage and really no definite edge; the blur is the smarter option.

Back to work.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Hi Margie,

You've done a really nice job on this photo.  It's one of those photos that seem next to impossible, but you've done a nice job in bringing it back.  Thanks so much!

Chris