• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A question for Ausimax

Started by glennab, August 09, 2007, 03:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi my pal down under

I keep reading your signature statement and it's making me crazy!  Since we all ask for opinions and most of us are grateful that other volunteers are willing to share theirs, what prompted the quote to the contrary?  I have to know!

Your right-side-up pal,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Sorry Max, I'm not trying to answer for you ... but ...  Glenna, how often do we actually say exactly what we think about something, without filtering it first?  ;)

Kurt

glennab

Okay, Kurt, I'll discuss a little philosophy with you until Max jumps in.  His quote describes a "well considered" opinion.  That, to me, means the "filters" have already been put to use.  Of course, there are times to just say nothing, but I'm curious about the statement because of the nature of our forum.  Enlighten me, please, Max!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Glenna,

The statement refers to wisdom ( if I had any of that I wouldn't be doing this), it draws on the old saying "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it"  That way you can be like the old sage, who after the event says "I told em that would happen" having said nothing in the first instance.

Hope that explains it!

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Max,

Yep, now I understand the reference.  In that light, it's definitely wisdom! (And you're a wealth of wisdom, Mr. Modest, as we all know from your wonderful feedback.)

I was discussing with a very intelligent friend of ours that Lon and I are extremely circumspect about the way we speak to people, especially each other.  We want to be able to express ourselves without causing anyone else discomfort (DISCLAIMER: unless we feel it's warranted!).  I can't stand prattling!  (Of course, I say that after having posted 2-million messages on our forum.  Hey, nobody's perfect!)

Thanks for clarifying.  My curiosity burns bright even at my old age!

Hugs!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hey Max,

I like your statement. I think there is a lot of truth in what you are saying.  It's taken me a lot of years, but I've learned to shut up and keep my opinion to myself, rather than speak my mind and create animosity.

Christine

schen

I think most of the OPR members are fool.  Who else will spend countless hours doing professional quality job free for people they don't know and probably will never meet in their life time.

I should keep my mouth shot to pretend that I have some wisdom.  But I am so close to getting an OPR T-shirt.   ;D
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

kiska

QuoteI think most of the OPR members are fool.

schen, SURELY you jest.

QuoteWho else will spend countless hours doing professional quality job free for people they don't know and probably will never meet in their life time.

I don't want these people 'to sing my praises'.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Chen & Kiska

I know people who think I'm nuts for spending so much time on OPR.  Chen, I, too, am going to assume that you're kidding, but there's an element of truth in that folks who aren't driven to do what they can for others in need think the ones who spend ("waste?") their time helping others are fools.  I'd debate to my dying breath who the fools really are.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Where are you from Chen? Or anyone that can answer that question.  That may explain his wording.  Just curious.

schen

I was born and grew up in Taiwan, the other tropical storm belt.  Transplanted to USA for almost 30 years.  My native English speaking friends say that my writing still retains some accent.
Shujen Chen

klassylady25

Quote from: schen on August 12, 2007, 09:39:48 PM
I was born and grew up in Taiwan, the other tropical storm belt.  Transplanted to USA for almost 30 years.  My native English speaking friends say that my writing still retains some accent. 

Your friends may be right.   ;)

cmpentecost

We're glad you are a part of OPR Schen. 

I was born in America, but am 3rd generation Norwegian, and still say words and phrases that are very Norwegian, based on my upbringing.  I hope I never forget these phrases, because it is part of who I am.

Christine

glennab

Hi Chen

You bring home what an incredibly wonderful hodge-podge we are at OPR.  Americans by birth (and most of us have interesting, often mixed heritage), Americans who are originally from other countries, Americans overseas, citizens of other countries, upside-down people (those Aussies! – or at least Max claims they're that way, and the idea tickles me) -- all having come together for a special purpose.  It convinces me that no matter where we are or where we originate, we're all brothers and sisters.

I love all of you!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

In the other thread about Wacom Tablet,
http://www.oprworkshop.org/forum/index.php?topic=831.msg7640#msg7640
we digressed and discussed about the society's stance of the left-handed people.

It hit me then that the negative attitude toward differences has changed to tolerance and acceptance and now respect and cherish.  What we have accomplished in a generation of time in this area is more important to me than the digital cameras and Photoshop.
Shujen Chen