• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Some eyes please.

Started by Tess (Tassie D), August 07, 2007, 07:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

One of the snapshots I'm working on looks like it was taken in a bar (pub) for some sort of presentation. It's a 6x4. The two men are fairly straight forward, except for the striped shirt.  :wow: It's a work in progress so the suit etc will be finished off later.

No. 1 I can't make out what the writing is on the plaque/folder?
No. 2 The lattice wall seems to just end. Is it a short divider type wall?
No. 3 I have no idea whats in the furtherest picture/sign on the wall. Do I leave it blurred?
No. 4 I can't make out what's on the gentleman's tie. Would anyone hazard a guess?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Tassie.

Its coming along well, to me there seems to be a post coming out of behind the head of the man in the striped shirt, could be the end of the lattice wall/divider. to the left of the other man there appears to be a rail below the lattice and the wall below that could be light timber panelling. 
Can't make out what is on the tie, I doubt you would ever have been able to read the plaque, if you can clean up any obvious damage on it it should look OK.

The area to the left of the plaque looks like damage to me, and there is a round shape near the top, could it be another medallion like the one near his collar? I think I can see the hint of a chain coming down from it, could be something like some of the Mayoral chains you see.

Other than those gems of wisdom I'm afraid I'm not a lot of help.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Tess

I agree with Max that there appears to be a chair rail below the lattice with wood below it.  What I see to the far left is another sign of some sort; maybe a chalk board for "specials" or something comparable to the sign to the right.  I've seen that type of sign with a light to illuminate it (possibly the round white object at the far left,whatever it is, and the cord coming down on the right (as we see it) of the sign could be a power cord. I'd leave that item quite dark.  And I'd say yes, the lattice stops just before the sign.

Below the framed whatever-it-is on the left appears to be just gray painted wall.  Perhaps that goes down to the chair rail and more wood.  I can't make out enough to be sure of that, but it seems logical.

I doubt you'll be able to discern the writing.  You might try enlarging just that area in another file and first slightly blurring it, then sharpen the daylights out of it and see if anything is recognizable. (Maybe go through the channels at that point). (and try doing it in 16-bit color if you have that option).

As for what's on the man's tie, it appears to be a representation of the American flag, but it seems to be rather rounded. (an oversized tie pin of some sort?  He's not holding it, so I'd assume it's something attached to his clothing.)

That's about the best I can do.  Hope my ramblings are helpful.  Good luck!

Glenna 

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

phischer

I don't think there is any way we can tell what the writing on the plaque is.
The guy with the white shirt is wearing a "bolo tie". As far as what the symbol is, I have no idea. I don't think that it is the same as the one on the plaque though.
http://images.google.com/images?q=bolo+tie&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
It does look like the lattice work ends right in line with bolo tie's head. It looks to me like that is the edge of a doorway there. The far sign on the wall is actually in the other room that is on the other side of the lattice.  I think you can leave that as a blur.

The other sign should have the logo for the now discontinued beer "Miller Lite Ice".  It was around during a fad in the 90's when almost every beer company had an "ice" beer. I did a quick look and couldn't find the exact logo, but these should help steer you in the right direction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Miller-Lite-Ice-Neon-Sign_W0QQitemZ180144944530QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-Lite-ICE-Beer-Light-up-Display-Barware-Bottle_W0QQitemZ300137242097QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3269QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/miller-lite-ice-tap-handle-beer-bottle_W0QQitemZ160144275401QQihZ006QQcategoryZ35732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks for the help everyone. I can't make anything out of writing on what ever it is they are holding so I'll just touch up the damage.
I found a Miller Lite Ice sign the same as on the wall. http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-LITE-ICE-METAL-SIGN-32-X-38-NEW-SHARP_W0QQitemZ150149095462QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50745QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
I also thought the mans tie had the flag on it but it didn't make sense as it was round. I will just clean that up and leave it.
I'll put the post above the head in and the rail. Gee I'm glad we have so many eyes here.  :)
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

This is coming along nicely Tess...My poor old eyes cannot pick up any more detail than what has been offered!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

OPRAng

Maybe the round flag pin is a button like you would wear if you were supporting a political candidate. The guys could be in the American Legion or VFW. My Uncle Harry used to wear stuff like that all the time. He wasn't fully dressed unless there was some sort of Americana on him...

The restoration is coming along nicely.

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Work in progress, still have to add the rail, any comments. crits?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Tassie,

Its coming along well, the door frame helps the perspective of the photo, don't you love stripes? Hope you are better at manufacturing hands than I am, keep up the good work.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

sanbie

Wow thats coming along so well...and I agee the doorway does help to put it all into perspective..

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

klassylady25

Sanbie, I tend to think that the man was a member to a Shriner group or Mason, based on the symbol, but I just can't remember where I've seen that symbol on the award and it's driving me nuts.... which is not a far drive I might add.  lol  :D  It is coming along great though!  Love your work.

GP

Tassie, great job so far!  :up:
Amazing what you were able to pull out from all the damage. My only observation is the left guys arm you are trying to reconstruct does not look right yet. I'm not really sure what the problem is, somehow the forearm looks too short or too thin ( or maybe both). You may want to look at a similar picture and you might be able to adjust the perspective. Sorry to be not of more help here.  ???
Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

phischer

I agree about the arm. It currently feels a bit too thin. Also I think your "Ice" sign seems to be following the perspective of your source sign rather than the original photo.  A little warp should help that. Hmm wait a minute do you have a warp tool in PSP?   ^-^

Here's 2 versions I did..hope they help.
This one is in perspective of your original

This one is a more squared off version if you'd like to position it yourself.

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes. I'm just trying to help.  ;D

Tess (Tassie D)

Definitely not stepping on my toes, all help appreciated. :) The arm is the biggest pain in this picture. It's not right yet, I'm not happy with any part of it. I think the main part is too short and the forearm too thin. Will keep working on it.
Oh yeah Max, I love stripes. I'm still casting an eye around for that symbol too and the one on the presentation.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]