• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

WACOM TABLETS

Started by cmpentecost, August 06, 2007, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use a Wacom Tablet?

Yes
8 (61.5%)
No
3 (23.1%)
No, but I want one
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: August 27, 2007, 12:59:40 PM

cmpentecost

Hi Schen,

If Santa brings you the Cintiq, then I want one too!  I've seen it used, and it's amazing.  As for the difference between the Graphire and Intuos, other than cost, it has to do with pressure sensitivity of the pen, which is very important to those of us doing restorations.  I have the Intuos 3, and I can push on the pen hard for a big efffect, or barely touch the pen, for a light effect.  You won't have that with the graphire tablet.  As for the touch strip and express keys, I use mine all of the time.  I have mine set for certain key strokes on the keyboard, and often times, don't even touch the keyboard.  As for the 5 buttons on the mouse, I do not use them as often.  I use some, but not like the express keys and touch strip.  I called Wacom just yesterday to understand the difference between the Graphire and Intuos.  The guy said that the Graphire is more for scrapbookers, and casual users of photoshop or photo editing software, but for the more serious Photoshopper or graphic artist, the Intuos is the way to go.  They aren't cheap, but in my opinion, worth every penny. 

As we talk of all of our ambidextrous volunteers, my Mom is 70 and a lefty.  She often shares the story of when she was young, the teacher forcing her to use her right hand, and making her stay after school if she used her left hand.  My Mom grew up to be VERY left handed, and extremely artistic and creative.  Thank goodness we don't have to deal with that type of thinking anymore.

Christine

Hannie

Before I decided on the Intuos3 I also was thinking about the Graphire.  Now apart from the obvious benefits like pen pressure etc. there is another important difference: the surface of the tablet. 
The Graphire has a smooth shiny plastic surface.  I read several reviews where people didn't like the feel of that surface for drawing very much and thought the Intuos surface felt much more natural.

For that same reason I am wondering about the Cintiq 21UX but really would love to try it s.t! 
Schen, I hope Santa heard you so you can tell us all about it soon!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Thanks, Christine for the detailed explanations.  That will help me decide which tablet to buy.  My computer is getting outdated and very slow for Photoshop work of large files.  I was going to replace it then I changed my job and the new job came with a laptop.  Now I don't use my own computer much except Photoshop work and a few other things.  The urgency of replacing home computer dropped.  I might have access to Photoshop at work through network soon.  I don't know how that is going to work.  And there is this issue about Vista.  I am glad I held off the decision to buy a new computer when Vista was the only OS.  I would love to get a Mac but my work uses solely PC stuff.  I am also sitting on the decision of upgrading from PS7 to CS3.

Half of my household are left handed.  My wife was forced to become very right handed in her childhood.  My son is left handed but plays right handed violin and guitar without any problem.  Scissors are the most uncomfortable tools for left handed person I know.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

sanbie

I think I will have to start dropping hints for in readiness for Christmas  :up: Seems the way to go!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

John

Quote from: schen on August 08, 2007, 08:04:38 AM
Thanks, Christine for the detailed explanations.  That will help me decide which tablet to buy.  My computer is getting outdated and very slow for Photoshop work of large files.  I was going to replace it then I changed my job and the new job came with a laptop.  Now I don't use my own computer much except Photoshop work and a few other things.  The urgency of replacing home computer dropped.  I might have access to Photoshop at work through network soon.  I don't know how that is going to work.  And there is this issue about Vista.  I am glad I held off the decision to buy a new computer when Vista was the only OS.  I would love to get a Mac but my work uses solely PC stuff.  I am also sitting on the decision of upgrading from PS7 to CS3.

Half of my household are left handed.  My wife was forced to become very right handed in her childhood.  My son is left handed but plays right handed violin and guitar without any problem.  Scissors are the most uncomfortable tools for left handed person I know.

those new iMacs are pretty nice.

cmpentecost

ummmm....what's an iMac?

Christine

Tess (Tassie D)

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Wow they are dearer than my whole computer put together!! :funny:

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

Well Sanbie, you know the old saying"An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away" so after you pay for one of those you can't afford to go to the doctor. :funny:

I didn't delve to far into the site, maybe they throw in a mouse and keyboard, my second computer back in 1982 was like that, everything was incorporated into the monitor, all 256KB of it and cost more in real terms.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

kiska

Quoteummmm....what's an iMac?

:mad:

;)
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro