• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

WACOM TABLETS

Started by cmpentecost, August 06, 2007, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use a Wacom Tablet?

Yes
8 (61.5%)
No
3 (23.1%)
No, but I want one
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: August 27, 2007, 12:59:40 PM

cmpentecost

Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to how many of the volunteers are using Wacom tablets, and your thoughts.  I've had my tablet two years, and it's the best thing since sliced bread.  I cannot image not having a tablet for my restorations.  I'm a lefty, but am ambidextrous.  I use the pen with my left hand, but the mouse with my right.  Before my tablet, I was doing restorations right-handed with the mouse.  I have no idea how I did that!

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Christine

Hannie

Hi Christine,

Like you I'm lefthanded but ambidextrous.  I've been using my Wacom tablet for a week and I think it is great!  It is so much easier to do all the fine detailed work in photo restoring.  For anything else I find it a little too sensitive but that is because I have not found the time yet to sit down and configure it to my liking.
I also find that pen in the left hand and mouse in the right hand works best for me.
Hopefully my work will be much better now that I'm using the right (left in my case) hand!  ;D

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Couldn't do without it! Period.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

phischer

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but I too am lefty/ambidextrous.  I've fallen in love with my tablet and cannot imagine going back to using a mouse with my righthand. It took me a bit to get used to using my right hand for keyboard shortcuts instead of the reverse, but it is well worth it.  I use the pen and tablet for everything now. I never use the mouse that came with it because for some reason I just can't get used to lefty mousing.

kstruve

Well to break up the monotony, I'm right handed and NOT ambidextrous!  I use a Wacom Intuous3 6X8.  I love it because I can set my opacity/exposure/etc. to Pen Pressure and have a lot more control over my work.  Love it!

Kurt

glennab

Hi!

I'm the no vote, and I'm sad to say that I've had a tablet for nearly a year, and haven't taken the time to get comfortable enough with it to use it on the restorations.  It's another of those "when I have time -- i.e. when my hours are cut" maybe I'll be able to get it out, use it, and be as happy with it as everyone else seems to be.  You're all giving me incentive to find the time!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ratz

I use a Manhattan tablet and I love it!! Makes things so much easier :up:

Ausimax

I'm with you Ratz, I use a Manhattan tablet, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Wacom, but I haven't learnt to use all the features it has yet, I don't know how I used to do this work with just a mouse.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

cmpentecost

I've never heard of the Manhattan tablet.  Is this the "down under" version of the Wacom?

And Glenna...get your butt in gear girl and hook up that Wacom!  It probably took me two hours at most to figure it all out, and using it came very naturally to me.  You're going to kick yourself for waiting so long to learn to use your Wacom.

Christine

Ausimax

Hi Christine,

No Manhattan hail from the old US of A, maybe their marketing is not strong over there.

http://www.icintracom.com/index.php

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

Hi Christine,

I've had a Wacom tablet for about a year now and love it!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lorraine

Quote from: cmpentecost on August 06, 2007, 12:59:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to how many of the volunteers are using Wacom tablets, and your thoughts.  I've had my tablet two years, and it's the best thing since sliced bread.  I cannot image not having a tablet for my restorations.  I'm a lefty, but am ambidextrous.  I use the pen with my left hand, but the mouse with my right.  Before my tablet, I was doing restorations right-handed with the mouse.  I have no idea how I did that!

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Christine

I thought I was the only one who used the pen with the left hand and the mouse with the right hand.  :)

I'm also left-handed, but  trained myself to use the mouse with my right hand when I worked in an office because my co-workers were all righties.  When I started photo restorations, I was useless with the mouse.  I can't work without my Wacom pen in my left hand.

I find that the Wacom tablet gives me much more ability to do fine, detailed work because it's so pressure sensitive.

Lorraine

schen

I guess I am the odd ball here.  I am right handed and I use left hand for mouse.  I don't have a tablet so I am using my left hand to do restoration.  Does that make me ambidextrous?  Or would that be a good excuse of not being able to paint well  ;D

A tablet is one of the next things I want together with a new computer and a new monitor.  I have to remind Santa about that.

Do I need a larger tablet to go with a larger monitor?
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

cmpentecost

Hi Schen,

You aren't an odd ball, but that's a first for being right handed and using the mouse with the left!  As for the size of the tablet, I spent several days at a photography workshop where we had a Wacom rep with us the entire time.  He said the bigger the tablet, the more you have to move your arm/hand around.  He said the ideal size for a desktop computer is the 6x8.  And, with the 6x8 Intuos tablet, you have the buttons on both side of the tablet, so it won't matter if you are left or right handed, you will always be able to easily use the buttons.

I did a bit of research today, and Amazon.com had the cheapest Wacom tablets...by quite a bit on some of them.  The website for Wacom, is www.wacom.com. 

Christine

schen

When I was young, I had to do some delicate work.  Switching hands was always a risk.  So I trained myself to be ambidextrous.  When I get older, I occasionally have aches and pains of my shoulders.  It is nice to be able to offload the side that hurts.  I still use my right hand to do writing and painting.  I am sure I will use my right hand for tablet.

Is it worth 50% more to go from Graphire to Intuos?  I don't understand the features like express key, touch strip, ToolID, or pen tilt support.  Why are there 5 buttons on the mouse?  We had a 5-button mouse at work on the share computer and I couldn't figure out how to use it without clicking the two extra buttons accidentally.

Maybe I should tell Santa I want the Cintiq 21UX.  I would solve my monitor and tablet needs together.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6