• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

JK's moderate restorations

Started by idyllopus, June 29, 2006, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idyllopus

My first moderate image, original:

Restored state:

Was pleased with this one but upon reflection I realized I should have kept the temple area softer.  A pleasant not too stressful image to work on. :)

Is this how I should do it in the forum?  Creating one topic under which I can post different moderate images that have been restored, rather than creating a new topic for each one?

John

I guess in setting this up I envisioned each volunteer maintaining their own thread, i.e. workshop, however if you'd prefer to set up a new thread for each project, that's completely up to you.

-John

idyllopus

Thanks, John.  I'll maintain one thread then.

Mark Wilson

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

John

Quote from: idyllopus on June 29, 2006, 03:11:03 PM
Thanks, John.  I'll maintain one thread then.

Well, like I said, it's up to you.  You have complete artistic license in that regard...  ;)

And you did a great job on this one!  Nice work!

pcraft

Wow, Idyllopus...  As Mark said, "Nice work".   :up:

idyllopus

As you can see, this was a low quality snapshot to begin with.  But things came out fairly well considering.

The original:

Restored:

Disappointingly, I searched all over for an image of this type of helicopter, wanting to see exactly what the engine and where the rotor attaches looked like.  Couldn't find one.  I also contacted three different Vet websites that specialize in knowledge of transport for the period and heard back from none of them, so I assume that they had no information for me.  I went ahead and  used as reference a chopper that was not the same but as similar as I could find.  I assume it's called a Flat Iron because of the blunted rear.

idyllopus

This one was a  lot of  fun to work on.  Flood damage and was behind cracked glass I guess.  The yellows in the damaged image give initially the impression she may have been a dark red-head but when things were adjusted she did appear to have instead deep brown/black haiir.

Original:

Restored:

happyheart

My husband, retired Army, says this looks like a portion of a Huey UH-1H helicopter.  I found a picture at http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Rotary/Huey/HE11G2.htm.  Your photo looks like the cab portion of the helicopter.  They were used for medical transports during VietNam and other wars.  The fatiques on the soldier look like the jungle battle dress uniforms.

This restoration seems a little bright to me, the front of the chopper is almost blown out.  Perhaps a little less on the contrast would be better.  Otherwise it looks good.
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

idyllopus

I understand images such as the below will be printed black-and-white.  If color, I might have gone just a touch lighter and warmed it up a little but as a black and white it worked better darker, there really wasn't very much detail at all in the dark areas.  As the pews on the right were intact I was able to copy  and with a lot of adjustments use at least as a base for the damaged pews on the left. Print size it all looks fine but when viewed large at 300 dpi you can discern the  pews have been reconstructed but print size I think things look fairly OK.

idyllopus

Happyheart, thanks for that image of the Huey.  Not as simple as working on the contrast.  The sky and front of the chopper were about the same tone.  I actually had the contrast pretty low on it.  With the Huey image in mind I went in and worked on it some more artificially bringing some blue intto the sky.  I've kind of burned my eyes out on it and don't know if this one is any better or looking not quite as natural?

John

Quote from: idyllopus on June 30, 2006, 08:44:14 PM
I understand images such as the below will be printed black-and-white.  If color, I might have gone just a touch lighter and warmed it up a little but as a black and white it worked better darker, there really wasn't very much detail at all in the dark areas.  As the pews on the right were intact I was able to copy  and with a lot of adjustments use at least as a base for the damaged pews on the left. Print size it all looks fine but when viewed large at 300 dpi you can discern the  pews have been reconstructed but print size I think things look fairly OK.

Wow, these are great.  I know the community is generally setting very high standards as we all take pride in what we're doing, but don't think for a minute that any family member wouldn't be ecstatic to get these back in this condition.  This is cool stuff to see.