• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Questions about CS2

Started by Tess (Tassie D), August 02, 2007, 10:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

I'm trying out CS2 at the moment and I find some of the things I'm used to in Paintshop Pro XI I can't seem to do in Photoshop. Is there a way of setting these things up that I haven't figured out yet? I've looked all over the help files and the net but can't seem to find anything.
Usually I copy an image from a web page, right click/paste as new image in PSP, CS2 I have to open a new image then paste into it?
Right click brings up a heap of menus in mine, can I do that in CS2?
I'm used to a lot of the controls being there on the toolbar. I know there are keyboard shortcuts but I'm used to a coffee in one hand. mouse in the other. Can the workspace be customised like this?

The screenshot is large so you'll have to click again once it's open to get the full size to read all the menus.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Look under 'window'.  It will give you the options that you want to place on the screen.  Check 'tool' at the very bottom and you will have your tool bar.

phischer

Quote from: Tassie D on August 02, 2007, 10:07:59 AM
I'm trying out CS2 at the moment and I find some of the things I'm used to in Paintshop Pro XI I can't seem to do in Photoshop. Is there a way of setting these things up that I haven't figured out yet? I've looked all over the help files and the net but can't seem to find anything.
Usually I copy an image from a web page, right click/paste as new image in PSP, CS2 I have to open a new image then paste into it?
Right click brings up a heap of menus in mine, can I do that in CS2?
I'm used to a lot of the controls being there on the toolbar. I know there are keyboard shortcuts but I'm used to a coffee in one hand. mouse in the other. Can the workspace be customised like this?

I'm not aware of a way to directly paste into a new document without first opening a new image. Once you copy your image from the web page, just go into CS2 and hit Cmnd/Ctrl-N to create a new document. The new image dialogue box will automatically be filled in with the info from whatever you have in your clipboard. So when you hit OK, the new document will be the correct size for your copied image. Cmnd/Cntrl-V to paste into the new doc.  I realize you don't like keyboard shortcuts, but really the only efficient way to use CS2 is by utilizing any keyboard shortcuts you can. You can't possibly have that cup of coffee in your hand all day can you?   ;D
When you right click in CS2 you will get tool specific options depending on which tool you have selected at that point in time.
You can also customize the workspace with whatever palettes you like.  Once you have it set up the way you like, you can then save that workspace to go back to it at any time.  You may like your palettes to be set up differently depending on what you are doing at the time, so you set them up a different way and then save that way as well.  I've not used Paintshop Pro, but I would hate top see you not using Photoshop because the commands are not the same. Taking the time to get used to using Photoshop is well worth the effort.  Keyboard shortcuts are your friend.  8)
Here's a link to some tutorials on the CS interface. I've not watched them but hopefully you will find them useful.
http://wikivid.com/index.php/Photoshop#Interface

glennab

Phisher, you're on the money.

Tess, CS2 is awesome, and there are so many shortcuts and ways to set up your workspace that it's fascinating.  What I do is open all the menus I use most and dock them at the top of the page (to the right of the Bridge icon). When they're docked you just see the tabs.  I always keep my layers menu open on the desktop, but the others are tabs in the dock unless I want to use them.  You can either click on the tab and open the menu for a quick check on information, or you can click and hold on the menu and pull it out of the dock so you can see it as you work.  I do that with channels when I'm checking for details, and when I'm done I put it back in the dock to keep it out of the way.

And for the work we do, it definitely is worth learning the keyboard shortcuts.  You won't believe the time you'll save.  You can access each tool by typing a letter (and they're usually logical, as in M for marquee).  The bracket keys control the size and softness of your brushes, and many tools that have to be sized, like opacity and flow, can be controlled by using numbers.  3 is 30% opacity, Uppercase 3 is 30% flow, etc.  Great for healing and cloning brushes.

There are so many shortcuts that I try to learn one or two every time I use the software.  It won't take long to get comfortable with it, and I guarantee you'll love it.  There's a web site somewhere that has all the keyboard shortcuts -- it may be on the NAPP site.

Don't get discouraged!  The learning curve is worth it.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

I'll give it a try but I find it clunky compared to what I'm used to getting around in. I like having all the toolbars I want visible, especially the undo button. I have that set to go back up to 100 steps. :)
lol Candy, no I usually have a cig in that hand when I'm not holding a coffee cup.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Your like me Tess..I can't get my head out of psp space and each time I open photoshop I get confused...I remember taking a photo into there to see if I could do more with it...I got it looking just how I wanted..but didn't know how to save it!! A box came up with options and i had no idea what those options were..let alone what they meant...so I gave up!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Tess (Tassie D)

Been there, done that. :) I had one in CS2 and ended up copying and pasting into PSP.  :funny:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

What an idiot I am... I never thought of doing that!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Tess, the beauty of CS2 is that you can keep any menus open that you want, and save that configuration as your preferred workspace.  I like to have a lot of real estate for my images, so I keep the menus docked.  And believe me, I use the history menu a lot!  I just pull it down if I want to use it, then let it go back to the dock.  I think that part of the issue with Photoshop is that there are so many functions and choices that it can get quite intimidating.  I took three college-level Photoshop classes, and even they weren't comprehensive enough to make me feel competent.  I've spent years learning bits and pieces, and now I absolutely love the power, especially the newer versions.  It'll be interesting to see what CS3 offers.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Quote from: Tassie D on August 02, 2007, 07:51:56 PM
I'll give it a try but I find it clunky compared to what I'm used to getting around in. I like having all the toolbars I want visible, especially the undo button. I have that set to go back up to 100 steps. :)
lol Candy, no I usually have a cig in that hand when I'm not holding a coffee cup.

Ewwwwwwwww  :'(