• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Third Try

Started by LSC, July 28, 2007, 04:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSC

OKAY! I re-did the hat seven times... finally had to realize that my guy's hat was NOT my Uncle Tommy's hat (whose army air corps photo was almost identical to this one). THIS guy was jaunty, he put it back on his head a bit. The bill was turned up with a shadow underneath...which also explained why the hat came down so far on the camera-right side. Phew! I am really happy with this part.
BUT...the shadow from the tie suggests that this guy is NOT wearing the jacket...I have never found one without a jacket (and I looked at a ton of these formal portraits online) . But the tie shadow wouldn't go down so far if the jacket WERE on... so I surmise we have Mr Casual here: hat back at a jaunty angle and no jacket. Possible? And if you look (on the original) at the dark semi-curcular thing on camera-right shoulder..... I thought it might be an epaulette. But not on a shirt, I think, and also, it was down too far. I think it is damage.
Does my outline of the upper torso look right? --Lee

rjackl

Looking great! I would have the shoulder come slightly lower. I have a picture of my Dad as a very young military man and he doesn't have a jacket on and there are epaulettes and his tie is tucked into his shirt. I am including it since you said you didn't find pictures without jackets. I live with my Dad who is now 89, my nephew who just graduated from the AF Academy looks so much like this picture. I am glad we have it and know this family will be thrilled with your hard work. Ruth

LSC

THank you Ruth, for your input. What a great picture of your Dad. I wonder though if the epaulette on my guy's shirt is in the right place. - THanks, Lee

Lorraine

Hi Lee, the outline looks good to me.   I found one photo of a military man in a dress shirt on the internet that might be helpful to you.

http://www.d-daywarrior.com/EarlyYears.html

Lorraine

glennab

Hi Lee

He's looking GREAT!  I think your restart was worthwhile, because what you've done so far looks much more natural.  I also think your assessment of what's there is spot on.  It is odd that he wouldn't be wearing a jacket, but I see no evidence of one either.

My opinion is that if you continue with the look you've begun, you're going to have one heck of a restoration! The less-precise look makes it seem more photographic and less painterly.  I'd say keep on keepin' on!

Ruth, you got the jump on me with your post, so I'll throw in my few more pennies' worth. Your dad's uniform doesn't appear to have the same lines as Lee's jaunty young guy.  I don't see evidence of the tucks anywhere on Lee's image.  But you did answer the question of whether there might be epaulets, even tho I can't discern enough detail in that area to give an opinion.

And your dad was one handsome guy!  I've noticed that so many of the WWII soldiers in these restorations are beautiful young men.  I pray they all survived!

Cheers

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

LSC

Lorraine, I'll check out the jacketless guy on the web-- thank you. And glenna, my mentor, thank you for getting me on track with jaunty guy-- Lee

LSC

Moving into the facial elements now and I wonder if I am starting to see phantom elements - (too many hours without a break?) The lips....could this man have a hare lip? When I back off and look at it from a distance, it doen't look like it. BUt when I look closely at the detail, it does.  See the vertical line the emanates from the high point of his upper lip?? ???  Lee

Tess (Tassie D)

He's coming up really well. :up2: I think the lip is just damage.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Yep I agree Tess..water damage...He's looking great though!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

I'll third the water damage assessment, Lee.  And you're right, when you get to the point that you're seeing phantoms, it's time to STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER and take a break.  Give those eyes a rest!

Something that was suggested early in our OPR career is a great help, especially with a tough one like this young guy.  That's to keep a second window of your restoration open with the image small enough and far enough to the edge of the screen that you get an overview as you're working.  It helps to keep those details in perspective to the whole image.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

LSC

Quote from: glennab on July 28, 2007, 11:30:34 PM
I'll third the water damage assessment, Lee.  And you're right, when you get to the point that you're seeing phantoms, it's time to STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER and take a break.  Give those eyes a rest!

Something that was suggested early in our OPR career is a great help, especially with a tough one like this young guy.  That's to keep a second window of your restoration open with the image small enough and far enough to the edge of the screen that you get an overview as you're working.  It helps to keep those details in perspective to the whole image.

Glenna
GLenna-- you are right and with ths guy I have been doing that and it helps a lot. Plus my husband is nowoffering his eye and he is really good! - thanks again and again-Lee

glennab

Hi Lee

Your hubby is a love for getting involved and putting fresh eyes on the image.  It can make a huge difference.

My guy has spotted things I completely overlooked.  In fact, before he takes off for Jax this afternoon I'm going to ask him to take a last look at my beautiful lady and offer feedback so I can finish her and send her back to her family.

I stepped away from my restoration for several weeks because of work burn-out and I'm eager to get back to her.  Will probably start cranking this afternoon after Lon heads for the other coast.

Bless!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Yes, I agree that taking a break is a necessity on these damaged photos.  So is dusting off your monitor........I was trying to remove a spot using the spot healing brush the other day, and it would not, for the life of me, get removed.  I checked my photoshop settings, and couldn't figure it out.  Then, I wiped my screen, and here it was a dark speck on the screen...not the image.  Didn't I feel silly!   :D

Christine