• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Eyes please.

Started by Tess (Tassie D), July 24, 2007, 03:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Am I on the right track with this one? I can't figure out where the bricks end and whats under them? I have no idea whats on the boy's jumper.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

You seem to be pulling some good detail out Tassie, I have done several of these Santa photos and they all seem to have a brick wall behind them, why I have no idea (hope they don't do them in the toilets) so I think you could make anything that isn't Santa or child, bricks.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

sanbie

I think the boy has a black jumper on with red and white stripes on the bottom and the sleeves...I don't think those 2 blobs on the front are anything but water damage..if you look closely the same pattern goes down the side...So therefore I think plain black with the stripes!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

klassylady25

Well I dont' see a jumper at all.  I do see a sweater, also that the boy has on a dress shirt, because of the color at the neckline and trousers.

sanbie

I meant sweat shirt (sweater)  :funny:..but good spot with the dress shirt..he might even be wearing a tie!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

schen

Bricks?  I thought I saw pattern on some sort of paper backing that the photo was stapled on.  If I followed the top/left/bottom, there were white boarders of the original picture.  Then again, the damage is bleeding into the brick like area. 
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

cmpentecost

Hi Tassie,

You've done an amazing job on this photo so far!  What I believe you are seeing in the "brick" look is part of the grid the photograph was placed on when it was photographed for OPR (we photograph, not scan the images).  These grids have markers that help us keep the photos straight, and indicate the size of the photo.  You can see a little bit of it on the left hand side, as well as the top.  When I prepare the photos  for the Photoshelter galleries, I crop the photos to the actual size, eliminating the "grid".  However, in this photo, it appears that part of the upper left hand corner of the photo was torn off.

I just went to the original, un-cropped version, and I see that I made an error in my cropping, which would have helped you figure this out.  My apologies.  I will post it in the forum here in a few minutes for you.

Thanks!

christine

cmpentecost

Hi Tassie,

Here's the original, uncropped version.  I hope this helps!

Christine

phischer

Hmmm...that will definitely change things!  ;D

Christine,
Why does it look like there is damaged photo over some parts of the "brick" pattern? Is there glass or some sort of plastic sheet over it to keep it flat?  Was the photo stuck to the frame or sheet from the photo album?

cmpentecost

Hi Phischer,

I wasn't there when they collected this photo, but from the looks of it, I'd guess maybe the photo was stuck to the glass or sheet from a photo album.

I'm kind of surprised that I had cropped this photo the way I did, but I'll make I don't make a repeat of this mistake again!

Christine

glennab

Hi Tess

I played around with your image at lunch, and from what I could see, you've got it nailed so far.  You got as much of the little guy's face as I could, and it looks accurate.  As for his clothes, I'd guess he's wearing khaki trousers and a red sweater with stripes at the bottom and sleeve edges.  I couldn't pull out anything else worth mentioning.  (while I was looking over the original, my boss happened by and looked interested, so I explained what I was doing and that it was one of our restorations.  All he had to say was "you've got to be kidding!") Good luck!

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

sanbie

Wow thats changed how the background looks now hasn't it? It was great that you could show that one...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Tess (Tassie D)

Oh wow, that makes a difference. Here's me thinking green bricks? Now I look at the jumper/sweater I see what you mean about the dress shirt. The more I look it seems to be a bomber jacket maybe?. Zipper right up the middle with striped bands on the sleeves, bottom and collar. http://www.uniteduniforms.com.au/trac%20school.jpg

lol Glenna, your boss nailed it. We need all the luck we can get.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Here's the revised version a bit further on. I added the white border back in and removed the 'green bricks'.  :) It looks very bland around the boy's head now but I can't pick anything out of that background.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Didn't your little boys wear zip up sweaters?  My brothers did and so did my son!   Oh, well, it's still coming along great.  Sometimes it would be great to know the approximate year these pictures were taken.  Clothing styles change so.