• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First time volunteer: Needing Help

Started by rjackl, July 15, 2007, 03:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjackl

I thought I was getting good at using photoshop but now I am not so sure. The picture looked easy to me but I keep doing it over.

Is adding a vignette which does not detract from the main image but covers some of the damage acceptable?  What it covers is part of a checked garment, and as far as I can tell very difficult to correct. i do not know how to post before and after pics here, right now I have four afters anyway. Ruth

OPRAng

Hi Ruth,

First and foremost, welcome to OPR and the forum!

The FAQ section on the forum should have the directions for image posting.

As for the vignette discussion...there are definitely some guidelines on what to cut and what not to cut. Basically don't just randomly chop in order to avoid restoring something. The best answers to those questions are found in the guidelines already sent your way. If that doesn't help enough, posting the image on the forum or talking with one of the "Admin" will do the trick. Let us know if you need help.

I hope this helps and doesn't sound like the chicken's way out of answering your question...

Seriously though, if you need anything, let us know...

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

sanbie

Yep I know how you feel...you know you are working on someones memories and sometimes you have nothing to work with and you wonder if you are the right person for the job!

Learn how to post your pics in here as people here are very helpful and will offer help and advice as to what can be done...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

rjackl

Maybe I am dumb or frustrated but I find very little information in the FAQ section, am I in the wrong place? I am looking at the FAQ which is across the top.
I see no information on putting pictures here. Sorry . I have started over so many times. I will just have to put it away and give it more time later. This has been all day so far today and my sixth or seventh start. Ruth

sanbie

I am new here and still get lost to...

I use photobucket to upload my images to...once uploaded I just click on the bottom link..

Then come to my post and right click and paste...and it's there!

Hope this helps

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

rjackl

Okay, I am replying to myself. Maybe I have learned how to post a picture. Let's see.

The original:

One of my efforts:

Another:

But I have started over yet again. I am critical, my daughter is even more critical. Hence frustration.
Any and all suggestions appreciated. I am a retired art teacher, can handle criticism. I am seriously questioning my vision tonight as well.
Thanks in advance.
Ruth

rjackl

Thank you Sanbie. I had just figured it out when you replied. Ruth

sanbie

:up: I see you have mastered it!

Do you have the healing tool...as I think this is what this pic needs..Though those with more quailifications than I might have better help...great restoration though..

Sanbie

paintshop pro X1

rjackl

I have used the healing tool a great deal. I also painted hair by accident and as a consequence one area stands out as very dark which bothers me. Also the graininess bothers me. Plus I really don't know how to repair the checks very well. Thanks. Ruth

sanbie

Ok I have paint shop pro..so I am not really up on photoshop...But I just quickly did this with the forehead...what I did was selected just the forehead with a feather margin of 3 then I removed the noise...then I went over with the healing tool...

So if you can somehow work that into photoshop...????!!!

Sabie

paintshop pro X1

glennab

Hi Ruth

Welcome to OPR.  It's wonderful to have you with us.

I have a question.  The original photo appears to have plenty of good image from which to work.  I'm wondering why you added texture to it.  I think I'd have worked on the original as is (maybe a little saturation adjustment) and healed and cloned what's already there.  The idea is to keep as much of the original intact as possible.  I'd also not add a vignette, because that isn't in the original.  One improvement, and that would have to be okayed by Admin would be to crop the top, bottom and right side to get her more centered in the photo, but trying to keep the proportion of a standard sized photo. (the original size of the photo is part of the name, so that should help you with the proportion.) If you crop the bottom, that will take care of the worst of the damage in the checkered blouse.  And the clean-up of the blouse is a matter of cloning and healing small areas to remove the debris.

Unfortunately it's not helpful for you or any of our current newbies, but we are working up an overview of OPR, what can and can't be done to the restorations, how to use PhotoShelter, how to post photos, etc.  I'm trying to finish up a bear of a restoration before I dive into the project for Admin, but we want to have it ready either to read online or download as a pdf (or both) by the end of the month.  No promises, but I'll try my best to get the project expedited.  All the information you need is here in the forum, but unfortunately it's scattered throughout the threads, so we'll work on creating a comprehensive document to get our newbies off to a less frustrating start.

We want to keep you!  I love the fact that we're getting so many new volunteers.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

rjackl

I did not add texture, only adjusted levels and proceeded from there but neither of these is what I will consider finished.
Seems I have no clue what I am doing perhaps volunteered before I was ready. Ruth

schen

I see texture is very pronounced in blue channel of the original.  When recover the gray scale from a sepia image, the blue seems to stand out.

The first restoration is always frustrating.  I hope you will stick around and get this finished.  There are many nice people here that will help you with any questions you may have.

I see you did very well with her face and hair.  I am sure with copy/paste/blend you will get her shirt fix up.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

sanbie

Oh no..don't give up now ..you are doing great...and we are so glad you joined us here...I can't wait to see your finished result!!

I do know how you feel about wondering if you are doing it right though as I am just a newbie also..so there is still plenty of doubt with me!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

Hi Ruth.

Part of your problem could have been colour correcting with curves, try from the original by duping the layer and using a channel mixer adjustment layer, check the monochrome box and just blend the channels till you get good grayscale image, then use the healing brush tool with a small brush size and only repair the actual damage spots.

Thats how I did this sample in about 5 min, and remember it is only a 6x4 so check your work at that size on your monitor (about 50%) it is easy to cause problems trying to cure something you wont even see in the printed image.

Max 

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!