• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Newest Photo

Started by hoodman3, July 13, 2007, 02:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

I just downloaded ThompsonA and I have a question.
[/img]
The photo seems to be in an oval mat and the black part on the left is space behind the actual photo. Should I move the photo so it is centered on the mat or just crop the mat out totally and make the photo rectangular? Either way I will need to create the rest of the right side of the photo.
Any help will be appreciated.
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

hoodman3

Windows XP, CS3

hoodman3

Sorry, can't seem to get the photo to show. Will keep trying.
Sorry
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

hoodman3

Windows XP, CS3

Juliet

Personally, I would extrapolate the gray background and maybe the edge of his arm to get rid of the black and the arch at the top.  That will give them more options when reframing the photo.

hoodman3

It seems to me that if the photo was skewed in the mat that OPR would have straightened it before copying. If so the man is really off center in the photo and I need to create the info in the left space. I'm scared to do anything right now except fix what I know to be good info.
Thanks
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Pete, it would probably be a good idea let Admin make the final call, but depending on the size of the photo, I'd think the best way to handle it would be to crop the left side to get him more in the center, as well as crop the top closer to his head and fill any white that's left with the background color.  I'd try to get it proportionate to a standard size photo for easier framing. There's nothing interesting in the background that would be lost, and I think that cropping a little of his arm on the left where the black area interferes with the photo would improve the look without losing important information or having to add to his arm.

Something like this:

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

hoodman3

Glenna, I agree 100%. I'm working on the coat, face  & background until I hear from Admin.
Thanks
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

cmpentecost

Hi Pete,

You are OK with cropping out the black on the left side of the photo, as that is apparently part of a matte or frame or something.  It was an odd shaped photo to begin with, so I'd probably try and keep as much of the original shape as you can.  However, you may also want to do another version with it squared off at the top, perhaps leaving a bit more space at the top than Glenna did. 

I hope this helps with your restoration.  Good luck!

Christine

hoodman3

Christine, thanks for getting back so soon. I tried a crop set at projected print size, 4 x 5 and got about the same result as Glenna. I can crop more rectangularly, say 4 x 7, but that may not be what the owner wants. I would like to straighten the man if I do crop and that will cause more of the image to be lost. I'll post different examples when I get the rest fixed.
Thanks again
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

cmpentecost

Hi Pete, 

Go ahead and straighten the image.  Some of the images got photography/scanned crooked, so I've come across a few crooked ones!  You could always leave it a 4x7, and when it comes time to print, the printer will size it accordingly.

Thanks!

Christine

hoodman3

Christine, how does this look? I don't like the colors and I'm still working on some of the details.

All comments welcome
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

phischer

I did a little dodge and burn around the original moustache area. I think it may look a little more like this.  It looks like some shadow area was mistaken as moustache. Although it could just be the way I see it.

kstruve

All I can say is:  Man, I wish my moustache looked like that!

Kurt

hoodman3

Thanks phischer, you might be right. His mustache is a bit gnarly the way I've got it. Think I'll give it a try on a different layer.
Pete
Windows XP, CS3