• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Latest pic

Started by Tess (Tassie D), July 09, 2007, 11:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Opinions, things I've missed on this one, it's a 3x3? I cheated and did all the repairs and cleaning in greyscale then took it into Blackmagic and recoloured it.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

sanbie

:up: You have done a great job Tess...

SAnbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

Great job Tess. :wow:

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Ditto Tess

You're awesome!

What's Blackmagic?  If that did the recoloring, it's not obvious at all.  Impressive.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

phischer

Nice job.  I know I'm new here and have yet to complete my first one, but I do have a suggestion.  It looks a little bit like the subject is pasted on to the background. I think that is because some the shadows have been lost.  Especially between the body and the arms. The bushes in the background should be a little bit darker than the rest of the bushes because the person is in front of it and should be casting a shadow. There should also be a bit of a shadow to the left of the person as we are looking at it.
I downloaded your pic and did a quick version of what I mean, I hope you don't mind.

I also tweaked the levels on the bushes a bit to give them more contrast and then added a warming photo filter layer to give the whole thing a little more cohesiveness.  These are all just nitpicks, ignore me if you wish  ;D
Oh and there is also a dark area all around the arms. I'm not sure if this is a masking issue or just the green of the bushes behind the person's arm. It seems weird that there wouldn't be a hint of one of the flowers somewhere behind the edge of the arm.

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks everyone. Yes you are right phischer it did need a bit more blending in.

Glenna here's the link to BlachMagic http://www.blackmagic-color.com/ it's a great program, ideal for colouring old photos. I found it a few years back while looking for something to recolour a b&w for a relative.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kstruve

If I may (per my usual M.O.) be the voice of dissent:  I think it was the wrong move to desaturate this image, repair the damage, then Ted Turner-ize it (colorize) when there is a lot of good color information in this photo.  The restoration looks colorized.  All the green foliage is the same hue of unnatural green, where in the original, there is a broad spectrum of greens from yellow to dark green.  The white portions of the house are now bland tones of white and gray, whereas in the original, the shady areas are a bluish color (white looks blue in the shadows because it lacks the direct sun, and is illuminated from the blue sky.)  I think this is, in part what Phil was responding to when he added a warming filter to the image.

Comparison of quick color corrected, clone stamped shrub area to colorized shrub area:

Comparison of color corrected shady whites to desaturated shady whites:

My opinion is, start with good color correction, then add a healthy amount of clone stamping, and this image will be well on it's way to being restored.  Your damage repairing is really good, but I would keep the original colors in this one.

Kurt

Tess (Tassie D)

Thank you Kurt for your opinion. I assume the Ted turnerize phrase is a derogatory term for getting hold of something good and ruining it?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Tess,

Thanks for the referral to Black Magic's site.  It appears that it's not available for MACs.  I love the sidebar paragraph where they mention "raving reviews."

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Dave

I have to agree with Kurt, but keep up the good work Tassie. I like that you're thinking outside of the box, but sometimes the simplest of solutions are the best.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

John

This one is definitely deceiving due to the incredible amounts of detail in the bushes and flowers.  Remember Dave's golden rule and that is we're not just restoring photos, we're restoring the 'feelings' that the original photo created to the owner.  I'm only providing my constructive criticism in an effort to help produce the best finished product possible.    I know there's a lot of unbridled enthusiasm and that is fantastic and critical to what we do, but I really hope that we don't rush some of these through at the expense of quality.   I think Kurt was trying to inject some humor into his criticism as to not appear negative, but he offers a lot of good advice to consider.

Keep at it, you can do it!

kstruve

No, the "Ted Turner" remark was certainly not intended to be derogatory at all.  I'm sorry if you took it that way.  I was just trying to be funny - but the reference is probably a little too obscure.  The TBS network used to colorize old black & white movies back in the 80's, and they got some flack from film purists.

Kurt

schen

The computerized colorization started with news reels of Apollo missions.  Because of the bandwidth limit of satellite downlink, those movies were shot and transmitted in black and white.  Pseudo-color was added before the reels were released to the press.  That's the story a friend of mine told me.

The colorized TBS movies in the 1980's had poor image quality.  Today's technology should be able to do a much better job.  I wish TBS will show a few classics back to back with original and colorized.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6