• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Chen's Sweatshop

Started by schen, July 06, 2007, 01:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

I called it the sweatshop because I am sweating over this task.  It is my third restoration work here and I dived head first into this one.  The previous two had very little damage to the faces.

So far, I have been focusing on her face and neck.  Before I go into it too deep, I would appreciate any comments and advises.

Original

Current state

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

kstruve

Chen,

I think you're doing a great job so far.  It looks really good.  (Wow, she's a cutie, isn't she?)

Kurt

Dave

Schen,

I echo Kurt's sentiments. It definitely looks like you're on the right track.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Chen:

And ditto!  What a great start.  She looks natural and "photographic" rather than painted, and your color is realistic.  I'm impressed.

She's definitely a doll, Kurt.  Reminds me a little of Liv Tyler.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Wow, great job so far Chen.

QuoteReminds me a little of Liv Tyler.

She sure does Glenna.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Now I got his face cleaned up.

Behind her right shoulder, there is a round tile trivet.  My name appeared at the bottom of the tile :D
Fate brought this picture to my restoration.

Current state

My name on the tile trivet
Shujen Chen

klassylady25

Wondering:  is your first name is Kit?  LOL

Ratz

It's coming along beautifully Schen!!!

schen

Here is the latest.  Comments and advises please.

Shujen Chen

glennab

Hi Chen

Awesome job!  Even better that your name graces the masterpiece.  The only improvement I might suggest is that you eliminate a little more of the splotchiness on Dad's face, Liv's hand and her chin, and tone down the shiny areas on Dad's face a bit. I know the shine is in the original, but I don't think that slight improvement would compromise the restoration. Mucho kudos (what language is that????) for some fine work.  I'm so glad you're with us!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Thanks Glenna for pointing out the areas that need more work.

I did have a hard time deciding how much original blemish to keep.  Before I read your comments, I was working on putting some graininess back to the blue curtain behind Dad.  I thought that might soften the face of the Dad.  Also, I believe I overdid Dad's jacket.  I need to go back to the original to get some texture/folds back.

I kept the high contrast of Dad's face, thinking that might give Liv's face a softer look.  Of course, Liv does not need any help to look pretty.  I will work on her hand, chin and Dad's face.

I've been painting over RGB channels with 3-6% black/white to adjust the blotches of the skin.  I found that preserves the texture much better but it is tedious work.

I am glad Christine had confidence assigning this one to me.  I definitely learned a lot from restoring it.

Shujen Chen

schen

I gave Liv's left hand and Dad a facial.  Let me know anything else I missed.  Thank you.

Shujen Chen

kstruve

You've done a really good job on this image.  Nice work. :)

Kurt

Ratz

Well done Chen, looks great, they should be really happy with that one!!

schen

I darkened Liv's forehead and lightened up her dress.  I also reduced the contrast of Dad's face more.  I think I should turn it in now.

Shujen Chen