• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A hairy delima

Started by nitehawk, July 05, 2007, 02:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitehawk

I'm just about to declair my independance from this one except for a few lingering problems.  You'll notice the mans head is still yellow and white.  I tried the tutorial about the blue channel and luminosity but all it did was make things worse as you can see.  I've done the majority of the repairs with the clone and healing brush but the head and light swithch have me stumped.  Any help I can get as far as what I mifht have done wronge with the blue channel or how to deal with the head would be much appreciated.  Also,  what might be done with the chains on the door?
                                        Mike

Ausimax

Hi Mike,

You are going great guns so far. To deal wit his hair you are going to have to define his hairline as well as you can then clone/heal his face up to the hair line, then you will have to reconstruct the hair by any means you can, you may be able to copy the patch on his right, position it and shape to fit with "Transform Warp" and keep building it like that, it appears to me that he has a part on the right side.

The light switch? I don't know what colour is common over there, here it would be a bone colour, draw in some vague detail and blend in with the blur brush.

The door chains would probably be Bronze or Chrome you may have to paint it in by hand and again blend with the blur brush.

A rough example, I used grayscale to see if I could find more detail.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Mike

I can only ditto everything Max has told you.  There is absolutely NO information in his hair area except the few sprigs that are sticking out from the damage. no matter what channel or combination of channels you use.  There are hair brushes available; I have several; but I've found them very cumbersome and prefer to create my own hair with very small brushes, short strokes and the smudge tool.  Experiment with different shades and lengths from what you can see and try to follow the hairline as best you can.  I've have some success, especially if there's anything visible to use as a "template."  He appears to have a rather unruly "mop" so that might make the job a bit easier than a perfect "do."

Good luck.  This is a tough one where your judgment rules.  It may take a few tries, but I'll wager you can nail it.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi Mike,

I think one thing you'll want to be very careful of here is to not create a hairstyle that doesn't look like anything the man had.  Since there isn't anything that appears to be visible in the various channels, you may be better off toning down the yellow to something very pale, and leaving the damage as is.  It's better to leave a bit of damage than putting a hairstyle in that the man never had.

Other than that, you've done some fantastic work on this photo!

Christine

nitehawk

Thank you all very much for you suggestions and  I will study on it and hopefully come up with a solution.
                                      Mike