• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First moderate resto.

Started by BinaryCortex, June 28, 2006, 02:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinaryCortex

Hi my name is Ian, I am new to OPR and would like some help from this wonderful community. Here is a smaller version of the image I am currently working on. Both the original and where I am at this point in time.

I am not really happy with the bottom stair face on either side and am still working on that, but I am wondering if the white puffy thing on the left side of the stairs is damage or someones dress, any thoughts. Also are there any other suggestions.

allanpat

considering the white blur doesn't look much like the water damage at the top of the picture, i'd say it's part of someone's dress.  In fact, to me it looks like the motion blur of whoever's throwing the rice at them.

Mark Wilson

Hi Ian,

Regarding the steps, you might be better off cloning from one of the steps higher up. Then just remove some of the blemishes from the duplicate so it doesn't look like a direct copy.

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

BinaryCortex

I have fixed the steps, and removed some of the blotchyness from the dark area at the top of the photo.  I need to ask which version is better to return, with or without the white blurry thing on the left. I am leaning toward without. Here are both versions.

clinttmbg

That element probably wouldn't matter by the time its framed.
Either one should be A-OK.  Good going  ;D
SNK for life!

BinaryCortex

Thanks for your input, I think since its a wedding photo the focus should be on the happy couple not some blurry spot. I think ill return the one without.

allanpat

Quote from: BinaryCortex on June 29, 2006, 03:26:10 PM
Thanks for your input, I think since its a wedding photo the focus should be on the happy couple not some blurry spot. I think ill return the one without.

The one without the blur definitely has better composition & leaves the bride & groom as center of attention - however the blur of the person throwing the rice at them might be part of the fond memory of the photograph... by deleting it, you may be deleting part of that memory.  I say you submit both to let them choose.

Mark Wilson

I believe OPRDave indicated elsewhere that it was not possible to submit versions of an image for the owners to choose between.

I suggest that you decide yourself, or ask the opinion of the rest of us (as you have done), then submit just one.

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

allanpat

Quote from: Mark Wilson on June 29, 2006, 05:32:50 PM
I believe OPRDave indicated elsewhere that it was not possible to submit versions of an image for the owners to choose between.

I suggest that you decide yourself, or ask the opinion of the rest of us (as you have done), then submit just one.

-Mark.

ah in that case, stick to your insticts & submit the one without. 

pcraft

I've never worked with black and white...  It looks more difficult than with a colour photo..

Nice effort...    ^-^

BinaryCortex

Quote from: pcraft on June 29, 2006, 07:24:22 PM
I've never worked with black and white...  It looks more difficult than with a colour photo..

Nice effort...    ^-^

I have had black and white work to my advantage before, because with these old pictures you can get some discoloration in faces and things like that. One picture i practiced on I could not figure out how to get that color to be correct because it was a small picture and there wasn't enough good information available, so i desaturated the image and that removed the color difference and only left a grayscale color difference which is easier to blend or replace, then I recolored the image with a sample colorize filter off of the original picture and it looked perfect. I have also found several sepia tone gradient images from http://www.gimpguru.org which has some good tutorials for those of us using the gimp.