• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ausimax's Sweatshop

Started by Ausimax, June 16, 2007, 08:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi folks,

Thank you for your comments and ideas on this one, unfortunately I have to agree with Dave & Kurt about taking photos like this one, sad to say from my last look there are about 50 more like it waiting in the gallery.

Candy, I'm glad you had so much fun with this one, fun is not the word I would use to describe my travails with it, angst is much closer, with threats of separation by my wife, she has not yet decided if it will be by divorce or murder.

Anyway this is about as good as I can get it, I am pretty sure it is close to the lady lurking in the original, unfortunately I just don't have the skill to take it from a painting to a photograph, nor could I find enough detail to take it from being a person to a personality. If you superimpose it over the original and vary the opacity it looks close, anyway QC can make the final decision on its future.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Max, I want to add my admiration to everyone else's for your sticking with this one.  I don't know how much closer to impossible one could get.

I appreciate Margaret's being ready to get drastic when you immerse yourself in one of these bears.  Lon's always telling me I'm obsessed.  I tell him "I AM NOT, and can we discuss it when I'm through with my post or my session on the restoration.  I'll be just a couple of minutes."  Two hours later he's given up and is either asleep in  his recliner or watching races, mumbling "not obsessed... Not Obsessed... NOT OBSESSED!"

Hey, it's what we do!

Cheers AussiPal!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

phischer

I stumbled across this the other day. Not sure if it would have helped in this situation (or if it will help at all  ;D) but it's a pretty neat tutorial about making an eyelash brush.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=287

Ratz

It's all good practice anyway Max,isn't it?
Some of the pics left in the gallery I wonder how anyone is ever going to fix them, it's a shame to admit that some just can't be rescued, as much as we would like to fix them all. :'(

Ausimax

This is my latest project.

Comments and crits welcomed.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Tess (Tassie D)

Looking great so far Max. She's an oldie that one.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Good morning Max

That was a lot of work!  Great job -- but then I expect that.  You're the best!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Juliet

Wow!  That's an amazing resoration.  There are a few little changes that I can see that you may wish to consider.  I think that while fixing all of the damage you may have lost some of the basic architecture of the crane.  The front of the crane (red) I believe is solid and you should not see the crane through it.  I also believe that there is a box (draw in green)behind his head (it kind of looks like an air conditioning unit.  In the area below where he is sitting, you will want to look at the shadows, it gets suddenly dark behind the still and then light after the banister (aqua arrows). It also seems a little dark above his right shoulder (blue arrow).  Finally, I would put a little more shadow back on the sun-shade thing so that it goes back in space more (purple arrow).

I hope some of that helps.  Sorry if it seems nitpicky :)

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your comments, Juliet, you are right about the box in the cabin, there is a small electrical box there,"Air-Con" Whoa, this baby predates air-conditioning, it was made before 1930 because P&H had moved from laminated and riveted construction to fully welded structures by then, the front of the cabin would have been glass as this is a Dragline and the bucket works well below the level of the machine and the operator has to be able to see down at an acute angle, most of the time it would have been just open as this predated even safety glass, and glass in earthmoving equipment had a very short life expectancy in those days.

The "sun shade thing" is a panel that opens back so you can see the top of your boom, and you are right it needs more shading, thats why we need sharp eyed people like you, we can get so tied up in the "big picture" at times that its easy to miss the details,
thanks for your help.

Max