• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ausimax's Sweatshop

Started by Ausimax, June 16, 2007, 08:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Challenge  :wow: you got that right Max. I couldn't get any more out of the channels than you have. Her cheek looks a bit too rounded, maybe hollow out below the cheekbone a bit. Good luck with it.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

I think the face is more shaped in...

paintshop pro X1

glennab

Hi Max

Just to throw confusion into the mix, this is what I pulled out.  The white line is an approximation, but it's where the flesh color seemed to be.  I think she's wearing a blue v-neck, she has beautiful full lips and large eyes.  The nose??  I'm not sure how you'd get that unless there a way to determine the course of the run and reverse it with the Liquify filter.  This is a killer!  But what a gorgeous subject.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Oh my and I'm going to have to agree with Sanbie.  So have we confused you yet?  LOL

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your ideas, I agree about the shape of the face, I hadn't worried about it at that stage, mainly I was concentrating on trying to get the texture even enough to recolour, managed to get a bit done yesterday still working on the gray version, the coloured one was creating too many problems, this way if I can't get the colours right at least I can deliver a B/W version.

I did the background on another layer above the face layer and reshaped the face with that layer just clone a bit more background in and if you don't like it erase it, also changed the chin line - raised it a bit now she doesn't look quite so lanterned jawed - did more work around the eyes I think the left eye is looking better and made some improvement to the nose.

Had not got to the colour of the blouse, you could be right about it being blue Glenna, I think the background is a blue/gray colour and the blouse appears just a little darker, I couldn't get much help out of colour corrections, I think her hair is basically black - any thoughts on that would be helpfully on the gray image I had only burnt it to even it out a bit.

Will post an updated image as soon as I get it all together.

Max

Update, have posted another photo, did a test run to see how the colourisation would go, still picking up a lot of splotches from the repair, will probably have to rework it after colouring  to even out the texture then redo the colours, the hair hasn't been done yet, still need a lot of work but I think it will be a better option than trying to clean up the colour version.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Ausimax/OPR?authkey=p22Q-Ea_VME

Give me your thoughts on it please.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Max

I also think that she has black hair.  As for the colors: when I pulled out the image I posted I was trying to get the flesh color (what little there is) most prominent to see if I could get a vision of her face.  I have no idea how to do it, because this is the worst damage I've seen yet, but I think you need to go back a few paces and try to find more texture and a less painterly look.  I hesitate to even offer criticism, because it's one I'd be hesitant to tackle, and I can't offer suggestions as to how to get around the debris to get the shapes and still maintain the texture. Do you think that using Kenny's "Sandwich" technique would help?

You're amazing for even tackling this one.

Hugs,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

sanbie

I think to try to get skin colour out of this is going to be a mamouth task...I think it may pay to go along the sepia lines at least that way they may get something...But then there are  more here far more qualified than me
Just a quick example..

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

I think this is about all I can get out of this one, I can't find enough detail in the image to develop the features any further, maybe it looks like her, I don't know I have been looking at damage too long to be objective.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

sanbie

Yeah it certainly is a doozey Max ...I did play but still kept with the sepia type colours..but mine still ended up looking like a painting...It's hard to know what to do really...Perhaps if you left it for a few days it might help...

Anyway here's my finished try for you...

It has just occured to me that this may be seen as a horrible post and I didn't mean that it anyway...If you want I can delete the whole post..

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

klassylady25

sanbie

Oh thats cool..I now don't feel so bad for having a go!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

klassylady25

Chen, we all like to play and this one's a doozy.  I have one coming up that's going to give me fits but this was just for fun.   Especially since it's not the hi-res, finding the details in small ways was hard.  One thing to remember HAVE FUN!! with what you're working on.   :hug:

Dave

Sadly, this is the type of photo that I don't think we can realistically take in anymore. There's just too much missing to make an accurate restoration.

Without hurting anyone else's feelings,  I think the closest rendition shown here has been Sanbie's effort.

Max, you should get a medal for just selecting this image.
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

kstruve

I agree, Dave.  This photo, and others like it, are just too far gone to ever be restored with a reasonable degree of accuracy.  Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt this one, because it can't be restored without resorting to making a "painting" that's based on the photo.  I know it must be very difficult to turn someone down who brings in a photo like this, but photos like this are simply beyond repair.  I tried to extract some detail from this one, but the best I could achieve was an image that gave me a "sense" of what she looked like -- good enough to make a painting -- not good enough to restore a photo.

Kurt

P.S.  Max, kudos to you for even trying this one!

klassylady25

I agree Dave, this photo is next to impossible.  Still it was fun trying to dink around with it.  :o)  I had to try it one last time!!!    :loveit:  Her eyes are so beautiful.

By klassylady25 at 2007-07-10