• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ausimax's Sweatshop

Started by Ausimax, June 16, 2007, 08:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your help, so many times with these its a case of not being able to see the woods for the trees, and fresh eyes make all the difference.

Have sent them home, hope they like it.

Max

PS - Candy, I'll be all at sea with the next one - its a boat!
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

klassylady25

Lovely!  A boat?  Oh, this should be interesting.... An owl and a pussy cat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat.  Said owl to the pussy cat will you marry me...... boy it's been a long time since I thought of that one.  I really need to go to bed.  LOL

I look forward to seeing your work.   :hug:

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Here I am with the good ship lollipop,  run your eyes over it please and give me your thoughts.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Denny

Max,

It looks great.  I noiticed only a few things to my eye.

1.  The reflections on the bow of the boat probably run further back along the boat.  I think I can see some that were removed as damage. 
2.  There's one little white spot on the front wooden post of the dock in the forground on the right.  My eye keeps getting drawn to it.  Perhaps remove it like the others.
3.  I don't think the sailor is that "thick".  I think the crease in the photo hides where his body probably stopped on the right.  If you look at his head, it is sitting off centered to the left of his body.  Maybe you can adjust his shoulder, hip and underarm to be more of the window behind him.

I hope that helps!

Take care,

Denny
Take care,

Denny

glennab

First of all, Denny, it's great to have another newbie posting.  Welcome!

Max, I agree with Denny on the reflections on the boat and the fact that the gentleman on our right may be a bit too chunky on his right as we look at him.  Comparing the more intact opposite side, I'd guess he's thinner than in your restoration.

However, the spot on the post appears to me to be part of the original.  Probably seagull leavings or a spot of paint.  It blends too well with the background to be damage.

You're really cranking these out!  How do you do it?  For a man who earlier on began his posts with multiple disclaimers, you're pulling out amazing restorations from all this mud and gunk.  You're awesome!  Even more so for having to do it all upside down!

Hugs,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

I don't think those are reflections on the hull, but damage. The water appears mighty still and flat and wouldn't cause such pronounced reflections, I don't think. Below is the b channel with levels added.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/81663843

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

OPRAng

Nice Work!

I had one question--the sailor with the black shirt--is his left leg slowly disappearing as if in "Back to the Future"? I feel like I can see right through it.

You know this family is going to flip to get this one back--it will really bring back many memories for them.

Thanks!

Take care,
Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

glennab

Great catch, Ange.

And it's difficult to tell whether his leg is in front of a hatch or there's gear hiding his leg (my opinion is the latter).  I suspect Max will be able to tell better on his hi-res version.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ratz

It looks great Max,I have to agree with Glenna about the leg, I think it is hidden by some gear.
Every thing else looks finished to my eyes. They're gonna love it.

Vicki

Tess (Tassie D)

Beautiful job Max, thats a great photo.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Denny, you may be right about the reflections, have added a few more, the white spot doesn't appear to be damage so I left it, the other sailor is that "thick", that perpendicular light bit is the cabin showing between his body and arm, I thought at first the crease may have spread the photo, but superstructure features crossing the crease at an angle didn't show any parallax error, so that blew that theory, I have made his head a bit larger and I think that addresses most of the problem, how I had it at first was a bit small for a lad of his size, also found his jumper wasn't low enough on his left side.

Kiska, I think I will go with reflections, they look natural to me, besides what you did found more damage than I could ever repair. :huh:

Ange, He is wearing "Wellington Boots" and standing in front of a shadow on the cabin bulkhead with his foot behind the boxes, I have made a few changes to try and make it a bit clearer.

Glenna, I think I have covered most of the things you mentioned, thanks for your Eagle eyes.

Ratz, Tassie D, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

See if you can see anything else I can do to improve it.

Max

Ratz

I reckon it's good to go Max  :up:

klassylady25

I see one thing that might finsih it off and that is to run your curves or levels on it to make it a bit more pristine.  Crisper, if you will. 

See what you think.

You got so much more out of that picture than I would have!!  Great work..... :up2:

kstruve

Max,

Your image looks great!  I wouldn't change the curves or levels.  In Candice's example, the masts of the boats become lost in the bleached-out sky, and you lose the details of the hull of the boat in the darkened shadows.

Kurt

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

In an fit of abject stupidity I took on this one as a challenge, figuring I would have to tackle something difficult to try and develop my skill level, and boy, does it need some development.

I started out by dodging, burning and healing on the coloured image (about 3 different versions) but I wasn't too happy with the results, so then I created a grey-scale version by blending the red and green channels, figuring I would try it without having to worry about the colour and re-colour it later, I think the gray is coming up better, the nose isn't right but I was able to recover detail around the eyes much better, still working on getting the texture and shading good enough to colourise successfully, have done a couple of dummy runs and it has been too blotchy.

I haven't really committed to this project yet, I have mainly trying out ideas and methods to see what may work best.

Any hint, tips or ideas would be appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Ausimax/OPR?authkey=p22Q-Ea_VME

Max