• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ausimax's Sweatshop

Started by Ausimax, June 16, 2007, 08:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiska

The nose and mouth look a little off. I think he would have on a shirt and tie, since the hat indicates a type of dress uniform.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ausimax

Hi Kiska,

The nose may need a rework, the mouth? Superimposed it fits the original, yet it seems small for the face.

I can find no sign of a tie and the collar shape seems wrong for a tie, the size of the cap suggest a naval uniform of some sort, probably Eastern European and they commonly did not wear ties, the US and English don't have hats that large usually, more in the style of Russian uniform,  thats the assumption I worked on

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

kiska

Here's a quickie. NEEDS work, I know. My mouth is a little large, but I think the original one has been distorted a little with the damage.

http://www.pbase.com/ob/image/81130765

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Max

I played with this image at lunch, did some extreme sharpening, and I think you can discern his visage a bit more.  I don't think his nose is as broad, and it appears that he has a bow-shaped mouth, but I think the distortion of the damage is causing your restoration of that area to look a bit askew.  I don't know if this'll help, but for what it's worth...

I deleted some of what I think is damage, and this is what I see (had a little extra time)

And furthermore...  I think you did a fantastic job on his eyes and uniform.  I agree with you that his clothing is very much like a Russian sailor's, as I remember the look.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Version 9.5.7.1 revised.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Tess (Tassie D)

Version 9.5.7.1 revised

I searched all over the net today trying to find a shirt pic. I've seen a shirt in a museum like the one he has on, I'm sure its not a tie(a modern one). From what I can remember it was like a fold of white material that came over the front of the collar and down into the jacket. This is the closest to what I remember.
Hubby just told me it's called a cravat. http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/media/000939_full.jpg

It's looking really good Max.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

My latest project.

And where I'm at, comments and crits welcomed.

Max

Tess (Tassie D)

Great job Max, even the shadow is spot on. Thats some outfits they're wearing and roller skates. :)  It almost looks like that line down her left cheek as spread the face a bit?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Wonderful Max.  It my humble opinion that the shadowing at her back leg should be less defined.  Just a thought.

I wonder how many of us old timers remember that rollerskating was an Olympic sport?   :)

schen

Fantastic restoration.  Looks like the left eye is squinting a little.  If you move the low eyelid of right eye up, they may match better?  I think I see a rose on her right chest.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Hi Max

I agree with Tassie that the woman's face has become somewhat distorted at the area of damage, and it does look a bit too wide to me as well.  It's almost as if that side of her face needs to be tilted a little bit upward.  I think  your restoration makes the young man look older than he should.  Where the damage meets his chin, I believe the crease is part of that damage, because the rest of his face is so smooth.  I also think his mouth is less wide that you show around the damaged area.  I'd guess it's more bowed, as it is on the less distorted side.

I think it would be worth giving thought to schen's comment about the rose.  I think the whole pattern from under her bust to her hip and in toward her thigh looks as if it could be embroidery or an fancy applique.

I know, pick, pick.  Actually other than those few small things, I think you've done your usual stellar job.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your observations and comments, I can find no evidence that the damage has distorted her face, have made some adjustments to her right eye and mouth as well as the shadowed leg and to the gents mouth and chin.

I have posted a 100% crop of the "rose" and "embroidery" I think you will agree it is all damage as you can still see the spangles through the rose, besides it is unlikely she would have anything at that spot as that is one of the first places her partner will place his hand during manoeuvres.

This is pretty much the finished article, I think!

Max

Tess (Tassie D)

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Max,

I have to say that rose is the most beautiful damage I've ever seen.  And it is unnatural to pin a rose at that location.

You did a fabulous job  :wnw:

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

klassylady25

Max, wonderful!  The rose would have done nothing for the costume.  Looking forward to seeing your next work.    :hug: