• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pax first go

Started by Pax, June 27, 2006, 07:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pax

My first effort. My biggest problem is correcting where colors have been washed away, resulting in light and dark bands along a subject. Very tough to fix. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Dave

I would suggest maybe masking the areas that are faded and adjusting the hue/saturation/lightness, there maybe better ways but thats the first one that comes to mind for me.. I had a very quick go with his tie and shirt, if time was spent on it and I wasnt so tired im sure it would look better hehe

Cordelephoto

Maybe try dodging and burning a little to fix those lines?

chadtrutt

I think doing an overall color correction first.

A trick I've learned is as follows. (taken from Dave Cross and the MAC DESIGN Conference Big Red Book)

First choose your eyedropper and set the point sample to 3 by 3 average

Top menu choose Layers

New Adjustment Layer – Threshold

Move the slider to the right until the image turns black. If any white areas are visible, these are highlights in the this image. Move the slider slowly to the left until some white areas appear. Don't click OK.

Move your mouse onto the the white area and hold down the SHIFT and click. A Color sampler target will appear with "1" beside it.

Now move the slider to the left turning the image white. If any black areas appear these are your shadows. SHIFT click on a black area and a "2" will appear.

You can cancel out of this.

Now in your Layers pallet add a new layer and fill it with 50% grey.

Change the blend mode to DIFFERENCE.

Add a Threshold adjustment layer and drag the slider all the way to the left. Then start dragging it to the right. The first solid black areas that appear are the neutral gray areas... SHIFT Click and that is your "3".

Click Cancel

Throw away the gray layer.

Open up LEVELS

Click on the white eyedropper in the right hand corner. Press the caps lock to turn on the eyedropper crosshair. Once the two crosshairs match up on the "1", click.

Do the same for Black "2" and Grey "3"

That should be it. I hope this helps.

The above came from Dave Cross of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals.

vhansen

Regarding fixing the light/dark banding and spotting:  add a layer filled with gray over the image. Iset the layer mode to Soft Light, then set the layer opacity to 50%.  You can now use white paint to paint where you would dodge, and black paint where you would burn.

Or, another method:
Add a curves or levels adjustment layer to darken the damaged area as needed to match the rest of the image.  Fill the adjustment layer mask with black paint (to hide adjustment). You can not paint with white or gray paint on the layer mask to darken just the areas that need it.