• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New book on restorations (Nov 2006)

Started by Codeman, April 25, 2007, 05:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codeman

Hi All,

I have found a book on digital photo restoration called "Digital Restoration From Start to Finish: How to repair old and damaged photographs " by Ctein

It can be found at Amazon.com :
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Restoration-Start-Finish-photographs/dp/0240808142/ref

The author has 2 web sites:
http://ctein.com/ and http://photo-repair.com/

I purchased the book and it is an easy read. It should set right next to Katrin Eismann's books on your bookshelf.

Codeman

glennab

Hi CM

Great reference!  I hadn't seen that one on Amazon.  Now I have to get in trouble with hubby (again) because I told him I'd back off on buying books for a while (I'm an addict!).  That looks like a must-have!

Thanks for the info.  I'll check out the web sites as well.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kjohnson

Glenna, as long as you take the time to read them... how many of those techie kinda books do we have that we've never read. argh.

cmpentecost

Guilty as charged.  I ordered it from Amazon today.  I do have a lot of books, which, like Glenna, I'm a type person who LOVES books.  I read/go thru a lot of them.  Between Photoshop books and cookbooks, they are usually all over the place in my house!  Thanks for letting me know about this one Codeman!

Christine

glennab

Keith, believe it or not, I'm one of those oddballs who actually loves to read tech books.  I devoured two of Katrin Eismann's restoration books cover-to-cover, and I have a good half-dozen yet to go by different authors.  I finished Scott Kelby's tome on channels, and I'm trying to get through the Dan Margulis monster on LAB color -- that's baffling me.  Had to take a break from it, it's so obscure.

Since I love the language, I have probably a dozen books on grammar, writing, word usage, etc., and I've read them from front to back.

When I get overwhelmed I take a hiatus and dive into my sci-fi collection.  I don't remember the robot's name in Short Circuit, but like him I "NEED INPUT!"  Call me crazy.  I'll own up!

Glenna

P.S. My mother once sent me a wonderful t-shirt that says "So many books; so little time!"  So true!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kjohnson

Have a few cookbooks myself, including some old ones that I've found at garage sales. Wow, Glenna you have tackled some toughies -  like that Lab Color one & Kelbys Channels. Hey, how's about Katrins book on Channels? or is it Layers? I forget.

Speakin' of Kelby, he was in town yesterday for his Lightroom seminar.

glennab

Hi Keith -- Yes, I have Katrin's other book called "Masking & Compositing."  I  haven't read it yet, but it's on the list! (Which also includes 30 hours of Adobe's Total Training tutorials,  learning to use the Wacom tablet, trying to get my scanner to work with the Mac Pro, upgrading my Scooba robot, archiving my restorations, finishing the Cassanova mom & daughter restoration I started months ago ...  catching up on my Photoshop User magazines and a month's worth of the St. Petersburg Times -- I just get "behinder and behinder!")

And then there are the rest of the books! Not only do I have all the restoration and Photoshop volumes I've purchased in the last 6 months or so, but I also inherited my mother's books when she died a couple of years ago -- everything from Jung to Latin to every esoteric subject you can imagine to tons of sci-fi  (you know, the apple, the tree, etc!).  Since I collect books as well, I began a database to keep track of them all; I'm about 3/4 of the way through and I believe I'm at book number 1800.  My house is a jumbled library -- covered in cat hair.  Hence the shirt my daughter gave me that says "Cats... books... Life is GOOD!."

I'd love to see Mr. Kelby again.  There was a huge Photoshop seminar in Orlando this month, but it was during the week and during a deadline, so we had to miss out.  Did you get to the Lightroom seminar?

Anyway, I'm on my lunch hour, so better stop with the monologue and get back with it.

Best to you!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Speaking of Lightroom...does anybody have it?  Do they find it useful?  Although I do a fair amount of photography, it just didn't seem worth it to me.

Christine

RosyBijou

I'll have to check out that book!  I laughed out loud when I read Glenna's comment, because I'm a manual junkie too!  My family teases me to no end, but my house is the first place they look when they can't figure out how to do something! 

I have books ranging from tying knots, to pysanka, to building player pianos, to building computers and assorted programing languages, various world religious practices to esoterica, along with just about any home improvement project known to mankind--but my photoshop books are the only ones that are actually in my family room!  Scary part is that I've read them all--though I have to admit that I still need each and every one of them -- memory just isn't what it used to be and, after all, you never know when you'll need to look something up!   ::)  (to my defense, I usually do look in our public library before I purchase them--our library is kind of out-of-date in the manual department... and we can only keep books for 2 weeks--not long enough for my reading pace...)   Katrin Eismann rocks!

However, my collection pales in comparison to yours, Glenna!  (Can I come over sometime & peruse your library...  ;) ? )

I'm jealous of you folks who have been to the seminars--maybe someday when the kids are older!
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

glennab

Hi Kerry ---

I love it -- a kindred soul!  Come camp out with my books and me whenever your heart desires!

I know exactly what you mean about the diversity of subjects.  I used to sail, so I have books on sailboat racing rules, knot tying, etc.  And I lived alone for many years, so I have do-it-yourself plumbing, electrical and home improvement books.  I'm not sure what it is about actually owning books, but I'd rather have them with me than borrow them from the library.  I'll never get a chance to read them all now that I have my mom's collection, but I can't imagine parting with any other than the duplicates.  I didn't have a very comfortable relationship with my mother, but it freaks me out when I realize how many duplicate books we had and how our interests converged.  We both loved the esoteric, so she had books on every religion imaginable as well as books on psychic healing, crystals, etc., as do I.  And she loved cats, so my massive collection of volumes on felines nearly doubled. My husband is a book nut, too, so he has his own library.  Our little house is packed, and much of his sci-fi collection is in storage. We  need more bookcases!

I hope you get a chance to attend some of the Photoshop seminars.  They're awesome.  It upsets me no end that I had to miss the one in Orlando this month.  There's so much knowledge to soak up!  I'm not sure what I'd do without our OPR "seminars" on the forum.  I've gathered so much knowledge from you and the rest of the volunteers.

Anyway, back to the original subject.  I'll put on a pot of coffee, or tea or make some hot chocolate.  Let me know when you'll be over!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

My new book arrived today, Digital Restoration From Start to Finish and I think it's going to be a great book.  The author is Ctein, and I checked out his website, http://photo-repair.com.  He has a large gallery of before and after photos, including the amount of time it took him to restore/repair the photo.  There is one that he said took him 30 hours!  Considering he charges $45 an hour, I'd hate to pay that bill!  However, I will admit working 20 plus hours on a few of these restorations, although I like to think I'm getting better and faster as time goes by.  I sent Ctein an email and told him that his book was mentioned in our forum, and asked if he would be interested in putting a link to the OPR website on his website.  We'll see....

Anyway, it appears to be a good book with some useful information, so I would certainly recommend it.  :up:

Christine

klassylady25

Christine, I find that he's not as easy to understand as K. Eismann, but he has some very good information thus far.  Let me know what you think.

Hugs,
Candy

glennab

You're killing me, guys.  I had to order Ctein's book, because of your recommendations.  I just visited Amazon.com. Now where I'm going to put it -- HELP!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

How are you with balancing it on your head?  LOL

glennab

Candy -- I'd better start practicing!  That may be where I'll have to keep it. I'm going to name my house "Gulfport's Books A Million!"  Wish I collected something smaller and cheap.  But no ... !

Hugs,

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)