• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Another doozie, opinions welcome

Started by laportelj, April 25, 2007, 04:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laportelj

cmpentecost

Ouch, it is a doozie!!  You may have already done this, but have you looked at the individual channels, both in RGB and LAB?  You might luck out by seeing less damage in a particular channel.  I'm not the best at channels, but if one particular channel is good for eliminating damage, I'm sure someone in OPR will walk you through it!

Good luck (and don't forget to have fun!)

Christine

laportelj

what do you think?

cmpentecost

Hi Jane,

Wow, with what you started with, you've done an amazing job!  My only comment is perhaps on the shadowing....such as his feet and her veil.  Perhaps a bit of dodging and burning, to give it a more natural look.  His feet have a bit of the "floating on air" appearance.  Otherwise, you've done beautifully on a truly damaged photo.

Christine

glennab

Hi Jane

You're darn close but just need some tweaks, as Chris said.  What I did to get a little more detail was change the mode to CMYK.  I duped the background layer and set it to multiply.  Then I copied the yellow channel and pasted it as a layer, duped and multiplied it twice and played with the opacity.  Most of the water run disappeared, which made it easier to see a bit more than with anything else I tried. No other channel work brought up much more than that.  You can sure pick 'em!  One last question then I need to get to bed.  Do you think the dark mark on her train is damage?  I can't imagine what would be there to cause what looks like discoloration.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Jane,

I think you are doing an outstanding job on a horror photo, I can't agree with Christine about the shadow, I see next to no shadow in the original, it was taken with a strong frontal flash that has eliminated all visible shadow to the front - its all behind them.

I agree with Glenna that the dark area on top of the train is damage, it would probably be white lace over satin.

My pick, I think the dress and veil are still too stained and the veil looks too substantial, what I did here is add a new layer - blending set to colour then painted over with white at 100% opacity and then lowered the layer opacity to 68%.

Hope this helps,

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

laportelj

Thanx all!
  Glenna if you are talking about the dark at the bottom of the train (on the floor) I believe it is a lace insert in the train . I will take all your advice and try to get a little more  out of this one.

Well its back to work i go, HI HO ,HI HO!
                                                                                  Jane

kiska

Maybe the groom's jacket is too long. Don't jackets usually stop where the man's fingers can curl under the hem??
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

kiska:

Normally I'd say you're right about the length of the jacket, but because of the two areas on each side of the gentleman that stick out just a bit, I'd say tuxedos may warrant different rules about length.  I think Jane has it right on the money, going by the original.

Jane, while I'm spouting off, I noticed that the suit has no dimension to speak of.  I don't know if there's a way to show a little shape, but the lack thereof makes the man look very one-dimensional.  Not being an artist, I have no idea if there's a way.  Based on the rendition I whipped up last night, is it possible that the tux has a satin collar?   What came to mind is that if the collar is satin, it would appear darker than the suit.  If the suit were a very dark gray, then it might be possible to add a little shading and still  have the suit look black.

I know what I mean, but I'm not convinced that it all makes sense.  Best I can do!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

OPRAng

This is another one that if you have more info in black and white you can go for it and submit it without the color. It is the memory that matters. If that is what you decide to do, just give us a heads up on it.

Thanks for putting so much work into a tough restoration.

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

laportelj

hopefully this will do,
Thanx all ,
Jane

Ausimax

Hi Jane,

I think you have done a terrific job on this photo considering what you had to work with, the veil really looks good now, only thing I see is a dark area above the mans left eye, I think it may be remnant damage when you look at the channel shot Glenna posted.

All in all a job well done. :up:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Jane

For some reason I couldn't see your images earlier, but now that I can all there is to say is WOW!  You did an awesome job on what appeared to be an impossible restoration.  My compliments!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

:up:  Don't you just love water work?   

Great work!! 

pcraft

Excellent work Jane..  You've done a wonderful job  of a very damaged photo...

Regards,
Robert