• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Jill's mod. pic

Started by Jill B, June 27, 2006, 02:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jill B

This is where I'm at with this pic. Not sure if I'm completely satisfied with it but didn't want to overdo and make the faces especially, look "painted". Should I leave it alone or can anything else be done with this before I consider it done and move on?  Thanks.     Jill

Mark Wilson

Hi Jill,

I don't think you have much left to do. However, I would suggest that you might look at the following 3 things:

• Create a sharper edge on the left side of the jacket and skirt, the edge line looks a bit smudged
  • You might airbrush a darker shade of grey into the bottom left of the background (up to around the upper arm) to give it a bit of depth.
  • The boy's hair just doesn't look right to me. I know it's difficult to see in the original, but I don't think that the darker colour should be interpreted as hair. I'd get another opinion on this one.

-Mark
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

vhansen

I would say the background needs something. As it is, it's clean, but it doesn't look natural. I would try darkening it almost to the same level as the hair (as in the original), and add something to give it dimension. By that I mean something like a faint gradient noise/color, not a "false" background image.

KaDi

Nice job on bringing out the detail in the clothing and accessories!

I agree that something like a gradient applied to the background could help...here's a quick edit for the concept:

I also think the baby's hair needs to be reconsidered. The way I read the image the hairline should be mirrored on both sides something like this:

Jill B

Thanks all for the observations. You stare at a picture you're working on for so long you don't see some little things after awhile.  That's why this forum is such a great tool.  Points well taken and will do a bit more touch up. I did labour over the child's hairline and didn't think it looked "right" but it was so difficult to tell. Again, thanks for suggestions.   Jill

John

Quote from: Jill B on June 27, 2006, 05:41:25 PM
That's why this forum is such a great tool.  Jill

You just made my day! 

Nice work on the picture, btw.  :up:

Jill B

Okay made a few minor adjustments. I think it's pretty well done???  Jill

Thanks! You made mine also.

vhansen

I almost hate to say this, but I don't see much difference from the first one (although it's gone now, so I can't be sure).

Tip:
A great way to give yourself a fresh look your image, and to see the image from a new perspective, so to speak, it to flip the image horizontally.  This really helps illuminate any missed areas, reconstructions that don't work, etc.

happyheart

QuoteTip:
A great way to give yourself a fresh look your image, and to see the image from a new perspective, so to speak, it to flip the image horizontally.  This really helps illuminate any missed areas, reconstructions that don't work, etc.

This really works great, and I don't know why I never thought about using it in the Photo Restoration.  I was taught to do this for painting in acrylics and oils.  You should have a balanced photo irregardless of the direction you are looking at it.  Many times I get so used to seeing the 'dress' that I forget to look at how it fits into the whole picture.  If you turn the piece to a new orientation, something that is obviously wrong will really stick out.
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty