• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need some help...

Started by cmpentecost, April 19, 2007, 06:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

Hi,

I need some help/input on the best way to handle some of the areas of damage in this photo.  First, his neck.  It's dark, and I believe it's shadowing that makes it look so dark.  It's just weird that all of the yellow specks are on his neck, but not his sweatshirt.  Second issue is the background.  They are obviously outdoors, and it looks like it was probably Fall.  Any suggestions on the best way to handle that, since the background is pretty heavily damaged.  I'd like to keep the outdoor look, but it's hard to tell what that outdoor look is!  Any other thoughts, suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Christine

Before:

Work in Progress:

kiska

Maybe this?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

cmpentecost

It's AMAZING what fresh eyes will do!  I totally missed the stroller, and didn't even think about him wearing a turtle neck.  Good eyes Kiska!

Christine

laportelj

could that be a pair of sunglasses stuck in the neck of his shirt? I have seen them placed there to keep from getting scratched in a pocket. not sure about turtleneck or stroller need more resolution , LOL don't we all?
Jane

laportelj

that is not a wall since there is evidence of another photo being stuck on top .  I would question almost anything green on this photo , it's probably mold as are thost splotches on the top. There might be evidence of fallen leaves on thhe bottom right . Boy, you picked a doozie!!!
You probably will drive yourself crazy trying to cut out the things that dont belong on this photo.Better call in a "psychick".
Good luck ,
Jane
Oh, the spots on the kids snowsuits could be snowmen.

glennab

Okay, Chris, here goes -- I've been working with your restoration (instead of finishing my little boy!).  This is an intriguing puzzle.  I think his neck is shadowed, and that's all.  I can't see any evidence of another shirt, glasses or anything else.  The yellow is damage, as it's scattered all over the image -- just more prominent in places, as on his neck and the baby's hood where it's shadowed.

What I'm seeing behind the family is a low slanting stone retaining wall, with a concrete wall behind it, and space between with plants and possibly moss.  Some of the vertical lines at the lower left look to me like roots or possibly a deciduous vine with all its leaves gone (they appear organic), one of which appears to be attached to the stone with a "C" clamp.  I think the vertical lines at the farthest lower left are "bleached" areas, because you can see the striations of the "rocks" through them.  What leads me to that conclusion is the grey rock-like color in the same lower left below the yellow cast, and also behind the woman at the lower right.  I think the slight vertical lines on the tall wall might be seams or water stains (on the wall, not the photo).

I'll leave you with that confusion of impressions and get back to creating hair!

As usual, you nab the toughies!  Good luck.

Hugs,

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Christine what do you have against yourself? All I can see in it is three people and a lot of angst. :knuppel:

May be time for a glasses change, lots of luck, you will need it.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Chris & Jane -- A comment, since Jane must have been posting at the same time I was.  I don't see any evidence of another photo's image encroaching on this one.  I'd expect to see ghosting or odd shapes OVER the family as well as the jumble of who-knows-what behind them.  I'm remembering my military couple, where the officer's medals had bled into the drapes when the photo had been crushed and folded.  Took me weeks to realize that there weren't decorations on the drapes, just an overlay of the color of the medals, not in just one, but two places.  This one also brings to mind all the different ideas of what else was in that photo, because everything to the sides of the couple was so distorted.  So Chris, I can only hope that you don't have to agonize as much over this photo as I did that one.  You're getting honest input from everyone, and all you can do is use that as a means by which to determine what YOU think is there.  Tough job, but if anyone can sort it out, you can!

Have a wonderful day!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi all,

First of all, Jane, I LOVE your rendition!!  Perhaps we could just submit that one to the family!!

I'll need to look closely at the picture this morning now that I've got fresh eyes after a good nights sleep.  When I had my gallery of folders to distribute, I was drawn to this picture because it's a couple and their child who appear to have been hiking.  My husband and I love to hike, so, minus the baby, the picture reminded me of us.  I'm not having regrets over taking it, but I certainly have my challenge!!!

Thanks for all of your input! 

Christine

Ausimax

Hi Christine,

I think I have to agree with Jane about the "wall", the angle between the top of it and the line down over the woman suggest to me that something rectangular, like another photo were on top of it.

That said the people are the important element in this photo, and they make up about 80% of the image, if you can get them right I think you could wing it with a generic background, that would be no worse than constructing it with things we think may be there, them's my thoughts, my eyes aren't good enough to see all those other things.

As you work on it you will probably see more, it seem the longer you work with images like this the more detail you start to find in the mess.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

cmpentecost

Thanks Max.  I'm thinking you re correct, along with Jane, on the photo on top of this photo.  I'm also thinking it is a black dog at the bottom of the photo, rather than a black backpack.  Hmmm....if it's a dog, and I have a backpack, this family will probably wonder what happened to Pup!  It's a doozie, for sure.  I haven't had the first moment to work on this photo today, as I was tending to our new adopted kitty.  It seems he's had a bit of an abusive or neglected background and will require a lot of care these first few weeks. 

You guys are all great in helping me see things in this photo I had not seen before.  That is the beauty of these forums.  You've all helped me see things in this photo that were always there, but I couldn't see, which, ultimately, will make the family the happiest.  I can only hope that more people wil submit their photos for this exact same reason.

My best.

Christine

klassylady25

Oh Boy... I'm going to have to disagree with the turtleneck.  It's just bad color on the original/damage. What I see when I run a curves adjustment is neck... the sun is shading it, and if you notice; the top of his shirt is open.  That's what these eyes see.    I do agree with the stroller and the wall.

Wonder where they were.  :o)

cmpentecost

I've been working on this (dreadful) photo, trying to get it finished up.  I love doing photo restorations, but this one has been a doozie.  Anyway, I need fresh eyes.  I know it needs more clean up, and I've been trying to be extremly careful not to give it a painted look.  Your thoughts, please!

Christine   :-\

cmpentecost

Ausimax

Hi Christine,

You are getting close to the money on this one, but, (there's always "but") I would suggest you copy the colour of the mans shaded leg to the lady's shaded leg, it looks a bit muddy, and maybe paint over the Parka's on a layer set to colour, it may just help even it out a bit. the faces I think are great you have pulled so much out without loosing their natural look, I would leave them alone.

Max