• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A Fun Project for Us!

Started by Mhayes, January 30, 2024, 07:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I just got a call from Nanda Sparks in Joplin, MO. She is the one we restored pictures of hers that were damaged in the Joplin tornado. She called to see if we were still restoring and I told her we were closing operations. She asked if we would be interested in restoring some photos that are probably more damaged from age rather than a disaster. These photos, which may number less than 15 are to be used in a showing for "Black History of the Ozarks."

These photos will be scanned by the Joplin history museum and uploaded to me by email. Since we no longer have use of PhotoShelter, I will post the photos together on a sheet and number them and you may email me your request--add like 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices. I realize not many photos at first, but something I think you all will enjoy. Once we restore them, I will upload back to Nanda she will have them printed and a digital copy for the families as well.

Probably won't start until next week before you see anything posted.

Looking forward to doing this for a good cause.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hi Margie.. finally got in.. helps to use the correct password :)

Looking forward to working on a picture or two.. hope I can remember how to do it!!
Lynnya
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Hi Lynna,

Glad to see you got in and your are not the only one who has used the wrong password. :)

Hopefully we will get enough photos for everyone.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

The photos were sent by email today and in the wrong format--PDF and the file size huge! Plus, some other things needed corrected, so once that is done will let you all know.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Shadow

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

The long awaited photos have arrived. I have a screen shot where you can choose a photo and please give me your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice as I imagine there will be several request for the same photo. There were 13 photos in all and maybe more to come. You will notice that #3 has #13 in its place--that is because yours truly picked out of the candy box first.

Several more instructions:

1. Keep in RGB and do not change the size as these will be dropped in printable size later.
2. Keep file size as Quality 10.
3. We want these as B/W but still in RGB. I would suggest that you do a Levels or Curves Adjustment first, and then next when happy with the results go under Adjustments and pick the icon for Black/White (this will still keep in same color mode).
4. Do NOT Sharpen as that will be done by Quality Control if needed.
5. HAVE FUN!

Send me an email at: [email protected] with your request photo's number, and when done, send back the same way.

Thanks

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Number 1 and 12 have been taken.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Can anyone make out the date? I think it's

Lincoln School = 1946 = Joplin MO

WIP 

ORG
Candice

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Good ways to go, Margie. Maybe you can ask the person your in contact with for the date. 
Candice

Hannie

I saw a photo of the school in the 20s and then it did not have the added building on the side.
Cars looked different in the 303 than what the photo shows.
In the 50s cars looked much more modern.
I think you are right Candy, 1946, the cars definitely look like they're from the 40s. 
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Margie my image is crooked can I straighten it? or no..

Mhayes

Lynnya, yes you may straighten, but keep the same size. I should have caught that. If you have any problems where it will cut off any person or hard to keep same size, let me know. The original had a border which might make it easier to straighten without losing anything.

Candice and Hannie, one of the school photos has 1940 as the date. I will check with the museum, but won't hear back till next week.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]