• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Just Checking In!

Started by Candice, May 30, 2022, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Last year when we planted I didn't expect blooms, so this year has been great to see the garden.  Here's my newly opened pink daylily.

Candice

Hannie

Beautiful daylily Candy!  Is this flower like a Morning Glory in that it only blooms 1 day?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

:hug:
Quote from: Hannie on July 02, 2022, 03:23:19 AM
Beautiful daylily Candy!  Is this flower like a Morning Glory in that it only blooms 1 day?

It depends on the plant.   I have some that will hold their bloom for a couple of days.  This one, however, was indeed a 'day' lily.  I had my camera ready and waiting! 

Happy 4th of July, Hannie!! 
Candice

jesterjeni

hello everyone!! its been quiet

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Yes, unfortunately it is. Victoria has circulated messages through the news and on Face Book for flooding in Minnesota. Interest, but so far no pictures. Not enough time has allowed for people to clean up and think about their pictures.

I don't know if we will ever go back to traveling by air and setting up copy stands. Right now air travel is a disaster and still a question of health issues. The tornado in Andover KS had a lot of interest and free offer of scanning by FedEx. Eventually I think people will have their photos stored on their phones or on the Cloud.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Then is it time to close up shop, Margie?  Has our time come to an end?
Candice

Mhayes

Candy, let's give it another 6 mos and maybe something will come of the flooding in MN or somewhere. If nothing,  then I think we will have to weigh our options.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

This is real lily, Stargazer, I think. I have difficulties keeping lilies in the yard. Some critters found the bulbs delicious. As I found lily bulb recipes on the Internet, I think some humans found them delicious too. Once I found a rare lily from a nursery two hours away. It was eaten up soon on the ground. So, I planted this one in a pot and put it on a pedestal in the yard. In the winter I hid it in the basement. This spring, it sprouted early in the basement. It wasn't happy when I took it out. It finally bloomed this week.

By the way, my mom liked to cook daylily soup (Hemerocallis citrina).
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Candice

What a beautiful daylily, Schen.  Today there are so many variations of lilies and that's because people are hybridizing them.  I love the look of your lily!!   
Candice

Hannie

Chen, the daylily looks amazing!  I'm not surprised that the bulb is edible, the tulip is a member of the lily family and I know that people would eat them in the past.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Some of the true lily bulbs are edible. I heard most parts of the long yellow daylily are edible but my mom only cooked the flower buds.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

How beautiful, and to think the bulb is tasty as well. Interesting that your mom cooked the flower buds. Did she do them in a soup? At first I though day lily but the leaves are different and are higher off the ground.  Here is an interesting link about the difference between the two: https://smokeysgardens.com/blog/daylilies-vs-lilies/  Not sure about the part about all parts of the lily are toxic part.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Well, the folks in Randall, MN have been cleaning up after their flooding. I've only seen 2 stories on individual families who had severe damage to their homes. One family had the foundation wall of the home on one side collapsed after the flooding. But so far no one seems concerned about their photos. Either they have them all backed up online or they haven't noticed yet what mold will do. Mostly the community has focused on larger problems like making sure everyone knows their wells are likely contaminated, etc. Time will tell if there will be anything we can help them with.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks Tori for all you efforts., wish we could help, but great if people don't have damaged photos.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]